Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review
3,026 Reviews

Fun time on a family cruise

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by Flamingo15

• Sail Date: Oct 2018
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

This was a family cruise of 5 people including 2 grandkids, 3 and 7 years old. We chose this itinerary because of the number of sea days and specifically the ports of St. Thomas and Tortola. Would've rather gone to the private island as the 3rd port, but alas Nassau is what it is. Overall it was a good cruise, boarding was without issue, had a nice lunch in one of the MDRs seated by a big window, then of course it was ship exploring and pool time. The ship is nicely laid out and beautifully decorated.

While this ship is rated as a top ship for kids, I have to say I think it's far more geared for adults overall, I say that for many reasons. Now the kids were never bored, and the older one enjoyed the pool slides, rock wall, and ropes course - but what's lacking is a decent sized main pool and really, a dedicated children's pool as I've seen on other ships. The big pool is adult only, and it gets packed and is where all the action is...DJ, live band, sea day games/entertainment. Adults who don't want the hub-bub of the adult pool migrate to the the main pool, and the main pool is really small and is the only location for kids to swim. Just not a good mix, too small, too many people. I cannot imagine this ship during spring break or summer time with high kid-count. No way.

Only 3 real complaints would be 1) the pool situation, 2) the time it took to eat dinner in the MDRs, typically 90 minutes to 2 hours for simply salad or appetizer, main course and maybe dessert, and 3) really importantly, around 6:40a one morning I was on deck 16 (walking deck) and a woman walking slipped and fell hard, she was hurt, her hip and knee. Two gentleman who were walking then ran to her and I got a deck hand to call for help, then went to her as well. 10 minutes after the deck hand called for help (and he called twice) another attendant came and literally just looked at the crying woman, said OK, and left. 10 minutes later 2 attendants came with a wheelchair. Had she been having a heart attack or if a bone had been disjointed or fractured, this would've been a really dire situation. She wasn't air-lifted off so I assume not too seriously injured, regardless, a 20 minute response time is more than concerning.

So anyway, we made reservations for Burn the Floor and it was an awesome show, top notch entertainment, the dancers are fabulous. My 7 year old grand-daughter was mesmerized, the 3 year old slept through it LOL

Went to the casino a couple nights and yes there is smoking, however, this was really not that bad - and I hate smoke. Far better than any other ship I've been on that allows smoking in the casino. I was expecting it to be really bad based on a review I'd read here, but it wasn't so bad. On a side note, no luck on the slots :)

Everyone working the ship was very friendly, some went way out of their way to engage the kids and just make things fun. Ran into a couple lazy bartenders, lol, but far more often than not had great drinks prepared. We did not go to any of the specialty restaurants other than Margaritaville for a breakfast buffet one morning (breakfast is a freebie there). It's a great location, quiet, fabulous view, but the food on the buffet was cold, maybe because of wind, not sure, but kind of disappointing.

We had adjoining balcony cabins 13266 and 13268. There was ample space for storage of clothes, toiletries, shoes, masks/snorkels. The carpet was pretty worn and kind of looked dirty. We also needed to wipe out the drawers under the sofa before we unpacked clothes - the drawers were just dusty/dirty, I guess no one else ever checks that before unpacking, but we did.

The shore excursions we did were good, no hitches, lovely people and services in the islands.

I'd recommend this ship (and already have) to others, not sure I'd do it specifically again, would depend on the itinerary.

Flamingo15's Full Rating Summary

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BC 13266

Ample space for storage of clothes, shoes, other stuff, lots of hangers in the closet. Carpet is very worn and looked kind of dirty. The drawers under the sofa needed to be wiped out before we unpacked. Plenty of space in bathroom for storage of items, good shower space.

Magen Bay Beach

Excursion left the port on time, the driver and guide and was a delight, such nice people on the island. Loved lounging at Magens Bay beach and swimming in the calm sea. The facilities for changing clothes were also good, nothing fancy, but clean and adequate.

View All 265 Magen Bay Beach Reviews

Traveled by safari taxi to Cane Garden Bay, to me, a piece of true paradise. The only downside of this excursion, and I've taken it once before, is it's a scary drive up the mountain from the port and down the other side to the beach. I think it was worse this time than last time, lol. Next time I think I'd do a boat excursion to a beach to avoid the drive - BUT, Cane Garden Bay is already calling me back, so who knows! I would also feel perfectly comfortable getting off the ship and getting a driver to take me there rather than booking the ship excursion and taking the safari taxi

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Blue Lagoon Island Beach

Have been to Blue Lagoon many times as it's an easy and comfortable beach day. Have booked it thru the cruise line but also Viator, either way, it's operated by Dolphin Encounters (dolphinencounters.com). The ferries to/from the Blue Lagoon operate timely and they make it fun. They also managed to find my cell phone I left on their ferry when returning to port AND got it back on board the Getaway for me. No small feat given we were already late getting back to the ship - big kudos to Dolphin Encounters!

View All 284 Blue Lagoon Island Beach Reviews