3. Carnival Horizon
We chose this cruise for the Eastern Caribbean itinerary and the fact that it was the newest and biggest Carnival ship. Yes, its new, but that also means that they are still getting their act together, in my opinion. We tried for a month in advance to get a dinner reservation for the 555 Steakhouse and only heard back a week or so ahead, denying us our requested time but offering a 9 p m time which we didn't accept. We tried then to reserve for the first night and never heard back. Restaurant JiJi was very different, promptly confirming our reservation at the requested time (and it turned out to be a highlight of the cruise). We also were waitlisted for our requested late dinner service and only heard a day before sailing. When we visited Guest Services upon boarding, the steakhouse told us we had 2 reservations, first night and the 9 o'clock we didn't accept. Of course, they hadn't told us that, so it worked out, but took some unnecessary effort on our part. Room was nice and room steward very nice and accommodating. Overall cruise was ok, but I expected more, since our previous experience on the Carnival Breeze was super. The main dining room food was not good at all, other than the flat iron steak with I ordered every night since the other options got a negative review from our tablemates. Food was served cold and overdone (other than my flat iron); it took several requests to get cocktails or wine; service was slow and not very friendly. My opinion is that the early seating has better, fresher food and the later seating's food has been sitting around for a while and gets cold and is not fresh. The last night 3 out of the 4 of us ordered prime rib and it was mostly fat and cold. The side vegetables were always cold. By the time the ice cream dessert arrived, it was usually half melted. Not sure what's going on in the dining room, but they need to work on all of it. Entertainment was so-so, except for the latin band at the Havana Bar which was awesome every night we were there. Comics were lame. JaJo (I think was her name) at the Atrium Bar evenings was stellar and made the best martinis (or so I hear from my husband and friends!). Miguel in the Piano Bar was equally noteworthy. Mike the Cruise Director was unfailingly upbeat and friendly. The ship has lots of nooks and crannys to hang out in and it didn't seem to be very crowded. My husband really liked the pizza and Guy Fieri burger options. Unfortunately, the Red Frog bar ran out of Red Frog beer for a couple of days, so what was that about? Serenity deck was really nice with drink and salad options that were fresh and chilled. Boarding was easy peasy and even disembarking went reasonably well. We didn't take any organized excursions but enjoyed exploring on our own. The eastern islands still have quite a lot of damage especially St. Martin, so be aware of that.

Disappointing