My mother had been on me for years to take a cruise with her. So this past May (2018) we took one of Holland America's Alaska cruises. Holland America is the only cruise line my mother sails, and she has now done the Alaska cruise four times. I had no idea what to expect from the process, but was pleasantly surprised at how organized everything was. We flew from L. A. to Seattle; the directions from the terminal to the buses were fantastic. Staff were always within view so there was no getting lost or making a wrong turn. The buses that took us to the port were clean. There is a long story about my mother not being happy with our first cabin (not Holland America's fault), and many efforts to make her happy (Yes, at one point I felt like a tired toddler ready to throw down after her shenanigans) but the staff got us settled in and even offered us several amenities (dinner at two of their specialty restaurants and two free drinks). It could have been a bad episode of The Love Boat, but the staff was wonderful and exceptionally patient. I'm of the opinion that the ship is due for remodeling / updating. That said, our cabin was spacious, we had plenty of storage space...and the beds! OMG! Prior to the cruise I'd been having trouble sleeping through the night. These. Beds. Were. Awesome! I would put my head down to perfect pillows. The bed felt like someone was hugging me all night. I've never experienced anything like it. I requested fruit for the room and our bowl was always refreshed. I strongly recommend getting a veranda room; it's wonderful being able to sit outside and sip coffee and just watch the world go by. Our porters (I regret that I can't remember their names) were phenomenal. Whatever we needed, or even thought we needed, they provided. They were always pleasant, always greeted us by name and make the cutest "critters" out of towels. No matter where you were on the ship, the service was exceptional. I was a little annoyed when I got home because no one called me "Madame." I had a different expectation for the food. The specialty restaurants were great (we ate at all three), and the Marketplace and dining rooms were fine. Since this was my first cruise, I had visions of opulent buffets. The reality is that there were enough buffet options to keep everyone happy. It was good, not grand. The dinners were very good, room service was quick. There was a place by the pool that made excellent burgers and fries, and a spot that made pizza (which I didn't get to). Since this was my first cruise, it was really about getting the feel for things. If you have the time, money and opportunity, I would try one of the pre or post excursions. After the first two stops, I was a little disappointed and wished that I had planned better. One of the challenges of the stops is they begin to look the same after a while. You're sharing very small towns with two or three ships that have docked around the same time. Unless you've done your homework and have mapped out sites ahead of time, you may feel overwhelmed by the number of gift shops and people. At one point I just stayed on the ship. There is a lot to do on board. The B. B. King Blues Club had a great band! I took a couple of classes in the Health Center, and took in a couple of cooking demonstrations. The Eurodam is now cruising the Mexican Riviera, and I'm going to try and make that trip in December. It disembarks from San Diego, an easy drive from where I live. Would I do this same cruise again? Yes! I know what the expect now and would plan it differently. The only reason this review didn't get five stars is because the ship does need refreshing, but not so much that I wouldn't sail on it again.

First Time Cruiser!