On March 21, 2012, I received the news that no person ever wants to hear . . . "You have cancer!" Thus began my journey up through today toward recover from breast cancer. And what a journey it has been! In the past six years, I have endured more than ten operations and procedures relating to my breast cancer plus a total knee replacement of both knees! Couple all that with my husband’s paraplegia from three spinal surgeries and you can then understand why our recent “Glistening Glaciers” cruise to Alaska aboard Oceania Cruises Regatta (September 7–17, 2018) was so special and very important to us. The cruise was a realization of a dream and the completion of a long held wanderlust. We boarded the ship in Seattle after flying in from our home in Miami, Florida. We settled into Penthouse Suite 8065 (which showed signs of wear and tear) and were soon greeted by our butler. What a delight! Throughout the voyage, our butler attended to our needs, our wishes, and our desires! Bravo and thanks to him for making the voyage extra special! The veranda afforded us stunning views and phenomenal photographic opportunities! Compliments are also extended to the entire crew for a mostly lovely experience and pleasant journey. The afternoon tea was charming and the treats delicious, the martini bar tastings were fun and laughter filled, the grand dining room staff and food was delightful though nothing truly special. The specialty restaurant menues were sumptuous but had limited options! The library was cozy and well stocked, the Illy coffee bar was amazing, and all the entertainment was energetic but a tad amaturish! The scenery was a visual and sensual delight! The air was crisp and we were continually amazed by the splendors as we effortlessly glided past! What a boon to our collective spirits! The beauty of nature was in full display and we were ecstatic! It was disappointing, however, that the closest we got to any glaciers was seven miles! I expected more than a long distance view! There were, unfortunately and disappointingly, several aspects of our cruise greatly in need of improvement or enhancement. TOURS: My husband and I each purchased the Unlimited Passport Collection at a cost of $659.00 per person. It was stated in the brochure that this would result in a savings of up to 40% off the ala carte prices. It didn’t! Why? Because many of the “tours” we selected were not worth leaving the ship to experience! I didn’t want to over tax myself or my husband with activities that were too strenuous, but riding the Hoonah tram through a “forest” was a joke! We simply rode a muddy path along the shore! The Saxman Village tour featured a 15 year old who mumbled his memorized speech and got lost when someone interrupted with a question! Most of the tour bus drives were from other states and were in Alaska for only 3-6 months. They learned their speeches from the same guide books that I had read! Not impressive aat all! The “High Tea” at The Empress Hotel was abysmal! It was a rushed affair. We were grouped with people from the ship by the hostess. We were not even given china tea pots but prefilled stainless steel tea pots! No choice of teas was offered! Not at all a high tea. Not worth $199.00 per person! When I complained, I was told that that was what our “package” consisted of! I have been to The Empress for high tea and it was never like this! These Oceania sanctioned and promoted tours were beyond disappointing! SHIP BOARD LECTURES: Who hired some of these folks? I knew more about Alaska than one young guy who struggled all through his “lecture”! He knew almost nothing! Same with the jewelry presentation, a waste of time! MEIDCAL CENTER: Surprise! Don’t ask for anything! They don’t have it or won’t give it! My wrist was hurting and we were near the medical center and stopped in to ask for an Ace bandage to wrap it up. I was told that they weren’t available to give out. So I asked for an ice pack and was told that they didn’t have any! That they just put some ice in a bag when needed! Outrageous! Also, the hours of operation were ridiculously short! SPA: This was very disappointing as I had thought to spend the majority of my free time at this location! I attended a “lecture” on reflexology but could barely understand the young man’s heavy accent. Regardless, 4 of us were crammed into a treatment room for the talk and it was quite unnerving and uncomfortable. FLIGHTS: Who was the masochist that arranged this flight schedule? We traveled for over 8 hours pre cruise as well as nearly 12 hours post cruise! Our landing and connecting gates in Houston was nearly a mile apart and due to a delay, we had only 10 minutes to get there! Were it not for a transporter that we begged for help, we would have missed our flight! Not a pleasant way to end a supposed trip of a lifetime. I realize that I am but one voice, and that my comments and opinions carry little weight. However, I felt it compelled to compliment and commend even if I also had to conversely complain and condemn. I sent these same comments to Oceania. They responded that they didn't often get complaints from passangers but wished us well and hoped to see us on a future cruise! Translation, they did not care! Go for the scenery, but don't expect too much more!

The Glaciers Did Not Glisten

Regatta Cruise Review by Mteriors

• Sail Date: September 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Penthouse Suite
On March 21, 2012, I received the news that no person ever wants to hear . . .

Translation, they did not care!

Go for the scenery, but don't expect too much more!
Mteriors’s Full Rating Summary
Get Oceania Regatta price drops

Penthouse Suite
Cabin PH3 8065
The cabin showed signs of wear and tear even though it had been refurbished only four years ago. The entire ship is set to be refurbished quite soon and the photos look wonderful.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins