3. Queen Victoria
Departed 15 September 2018 - 15 nights. We chose this cruise because of it's excellent itinerary and longer stays in ports. Overnight in Venice was the icing on the cake. We were a little perturbed by some of the reviews and comments that life on Queen Victoria was 'boring' and the ship was 'full of old people'. My husband didn't want to go as he thought he'd be bored. The reality was that our cruise to be fairly even in age, although not many children. Embarkation was seamless - even though we turned up 2 hours before our allocated time. We were unpacked and ready to go long before we cast off. From the time we boarded, we realised that British punctuality reined supreme on the Queen - everything was perfectly on time, and no stragglers thank you. From the Captain down to the cabin staff, there was always a friendlWe were allocated first sitting in the Brittania Restuarant - fine for sea days but not so good when in port and the ship sails late afternoon. No time to dress for dinner, so we ate mostly in the Lido Buffet. The meals in both the Britannia and the Lido Buffet were excellent - especially the pasta chef in the Lido who made sauces to taste. Delicious. If portion control is important to you, better stick to the Britannia as it's very easy to go overboard at buffets. We ate breakfast in the Lido every day as most days we had early starts while in ports. I loved the fresh fruit and healthy options available. My only adverse comment is about the behavior of some of the older male passengers at the coffee/juice machines on the Lido. You'd swear it was the last supper as they pushed and jostled others out of the way. Other than that - dining gets a big tick. Our cabin was 4001 - right at the front of the ship and with a metal balcony. Any further forward and you'd be over the bow! I was disappointed at first, but the photo opportunities as you sail into ports like Kotor are exceptionally good. The cabin was a good size, plenty of room under the bed to stow luggage, plenty of wardrobe space and excellent shampoo, conditioner etc. The bed was extremely comfortable, as were the gorgeous pillows and bedding. The sound of the anchor being dropped was an excellent early morning wakup call in ports. You couldn't sleep through it! The only complaint I had was the horrible hair dryer in the drawer. You had to hold the button on to make it work and it took ages to dry my short hair. A small issue though - another tick for the cabin. The entertainment was varied and first class - we loved it! There was lots of ballroom dancing and we even took a couple of classes. We were terrible but at least we had a go. It was wonderful watching those who could dance and now dancing classes are on our bucket list. The formal nights were wonderful for we Aussies who rarely dress up. My husband took a tux, vests, bow ties and loved dressing up. We particularly loved the Captains Cocktail Party and the Masquerade Ball. I wore long dresses for the first time in the 18 years that we'd been married (not a good look for someone as short as me). For the ladies, trousers with evening tops are perfectly acceptable if you don't suit dresses (I don't and I'll never wear another one). I think Cunard recognises that it's demographic is changing and that we aging Baby Boomers who grew up on the Rolling Stones and Beatles aren't always ballroom dancers. We had a reggae band and a very good DJ on board. There was a good disco on Deck 10 next to the Commodores Lounge - complete with flashing lights and ABBA music. Very popular! The Golden Lion pub provided my darts-mad husband with something to do at sea - he even won two matches. The trivia and Bingo were fun. Laura with her quirky, Northern UK voice made me smile every time I heard her speak. She's a lot of fun and so were the other two girls. The ports were the major selling point of the cruise for us - first stop Corfu, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Venice overnight, Korcula, Valetta, Messina, Naples and back to Rome. Plenty of time in port except for Korcula where we had to leave early because of a pending storm. We thought the captain was panicking until it hit. Very interesting crossing to Malta and from Malta to Messina. We didn't take any of the Cunard port tours - our experience is always to choose a local tour company and do our own thing. It's worked before and worked perfectly this time (with the exception of Naples - choose a ship day tour in case you're running late). The service on Cunard was exceptional - nothing was too much trouble. Even when my cabin card kept demagnetising (mobile phone was to blame), they replaced it with a smile. Disembarkment was a bit of a problem - we were given a time to disembark, only to be told to go 2 hours early and 3 hours before our transfer was booked. There are no seats to sit on outside the Civitavecchia terminal so it was a long wait standing up. For those passengers not used to leaving large tips at the end of the voyage, or who prefer to leave tips for those special staff members, there is a system at the pursers office where you can opt out. The tips were in US dollars - and our exchange rate at the time of sailing was terrible - we preferred to tip in the Euros that we had at hand rather than charging our credit cards and awful exchange rates. Cunard provide envelopes so that you can leave tips yourself. My biggest bugbear were the deck chair hogs around the pool. I'd see people go out, use large colourful plastic pegs to secure their towels to the chairs, walk away and not come back for hours - sometimes well into the afternoon. This meant deck chairs were rarely available and hardly ever two next to each other. I think there should be a system if the chair hasn't been used for over 3 hours, the towel should be removed. My final comments: We'd sail with Cunard again in a heartbeat. The service, the ship's facilities and the ports have changed the way we look at cruising. I'm hooked and can't wait to sail with Cunard again.

Return to the Golden Era of Cruising

Queen Victoria Cruise Review by Anniegrant143

Anniegrant143’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cunard Queen Victoria price drops

Balcony
Cabin BF 4001
Our cabin was 4001 - right at the front of the ship and with a metal balcony. Any further forward and you'd be over the bow! I was disappointed at first, but the photo opportunities as you sail into ports like Kotor are exceptionally good. The cabin was a good size, plenty of room under the bed to stow luggage, plenty of wardrobe space and excellent shampoo, conditioner etc. The bed was extremely comfortable, as were the gorgeous pillows and bedding. There was no noise from the theatre below, but the sound of the anchor was a wake up call in ports!
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins