• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

Norwegian Jade Review

Editor Rating
1962 reviews
22 Awards

A place far far away ...

Review for Norwegian Jade to the Eastern Caribbean
psgreenf
First Time Cruiser • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Dec 2009
Cabin: Mid-Ship Balcony

Overall, hard to beat a cruise that hits 4 countries, 6 ports and includes X-mas and New Years! .. Traveled to Spain, Italy, Egypt, Turky and Greece. Going in, I was very excited about visiting Egypt but it was somewhat of a disappointment in the end. Best part of the trip was Pompey & the Almafi coast. Next best was Izmir Turkey .. Ephasus. I've been on several cruise lines but enjoy the Free Style cruising and selection of restaurants. I think we at out almost every night at one of the 7 or 8 choices which were for the most part very good. The main dining room was mediocore at best. We had a balcony room which is really the only way to go ... sunsets - sunrises and listening to the sounds of the ocean as we sail along. I fully expected going in that the excursions would be as much if not more than the on-ship costs. We went somewhere at every port of call and spend a couple days in Barcelona .. 1 coming in and another leaving .. very nice city. Again, Pompey & Almafi were plain fascinating and Cairo was just dirty. So foggy in Alexandria, lost > 1/2 day waiting and riding the bus. Every stop in Egypt was a sales pitch from the vendors .. even on board the bus. Pyramids were incredible but wouldn't go back .. sooooo many vendors. In the end, I was very annoyed w/ NCL at the various money grubbing hurdles they put me through on the ship. My biggest gripe was the phone service charges I acumulated when getting back. This alone and how they reacted will probably keep from visiting thier line for a longgg time to come. ATT is my domestic service and I took out all the overseas calling plan options I could get. I was warned before hand about data roaming and even had this turned off once I arrived in Eourpe.... Turns out my international roaming service was as advertised for all LAND based services ... but when on board NCL ships, the rules don't count. Most ATT reps weren't even aware when I got home. They aren't a Eourpean country so they can charge whatever they want and did .. a $1000+ later. I think the other part that bothered me was how the charged for services, a % of every expense regardless of service quality. I started out tipping everyone depending on what they did for us. Checked my bill about 1/2 way thru and caught on to thier system (my fault for not reading close enuf). I even bought a wine package at suprised in the end to see that there was a fee charged regardless of where and how we consumed our beverages .. room or restaruant. By the way if you go, stock up with beverages after entering the Barcelona customs before getting on the ship .. they don't check! Ocean balcony was quite nice .. have to say, one of the highlights of the trip with given the variety of stops. Stayed in our room > 1/2 time on the ship. Was a double bed .. 2 singles put togther but more comfortable than expected. Had a couch, desk table and chair. Bathroom had a nice size shower and the toilet area had a slide door. TV was fairly small but didn't really use it much .. read, sat on balcony all hours of night and day. By the way, ship was dressed out in Hawaiian decor .. was transplated and not renovated. Didn't really bother me but just seemed out of place.

Mid-Ship Balcony

Cabin BA

Port Reviews

Rome (Civitavecchia)

You just need more time .. takes too long getting in/out of Rome. Should skip lunch and use the time to sightsee.

Naples

Pompey .. Pompey .. Pompey ... Just amazing. A snapshot in time.

Amalfi coast .. a nail biter of a drive .. stunning coast line.

Alexandria

Foggy .. dirty .. foggy .. dirty ... Never felt welcomed .. mostly used in how they hounded us to buy items .. even on the bus. Pyramids are ... the pyramids .. a must see .. ONCE. Not going back.

Izmir

Fascinating!! .. a must visit. Very friendly and the cultural history is enormous. Would go back on our own .. felt safe, clean, friendly.

Rhodes

Too rough to land the ship .. had to skip ,, so best I can go is neutral.

Athens (Piraeus)

Seemed clean and friendly enough but fairly expensive. Went to Parthenon which took most of the day ... A must stop but been there and done that.

Also went to Crete which was fascinating .. the Minoan history.

previous reviewnext review