3. Norwegian Gem
We chose the cruise because we had a Norwegian deposit to use and because we really wanted to visit this area. This was my first time on Norwegian having sailed with Princess and Holland America in the past. All to follow is with the understanding that such experiences can vary from person to person, ship to ship, and line to line. Norwegian missed on a lot of little things. Didn't ruin the cruise but didn't stack up to other lines. During the my first three meals on the ship they forgot to bring me a course I'd ordered until I reminded them. Then once they brought TWO. There seemed to be no quiet places to sit and have a drink on sea days. They have beautiful bar up top but it seemed to always be used for dance lessons, bingo, trivia, etc, etc. Music everywhere and it sometimes clashed with what was being played at the next place. Maybe it's just me but doesn't anyone enjoy a nice drink and quiet conversation anymore? The main dining room never once made me say "wow, I really want that" with their entrees. Magenta did have the advantage of being a more quiet venue in which to dine. The appetizers were fine, entrees blah, and the desserts were not as good as other ships. Other lines will bring you coffee and juice at your table at the buffet but not Norwegian. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Guest services was excellent as was embarkation and disembarkation. We enjoyed our excursions. Note: If you are considering the "Hiking Saguenay National Park pay attention when they say you need to be an experience hiker and you certainly need to be in shape. You hike up a trail made of large rocks as steps for long distances with a steep incline. Coming down is easier but you must pay attention to every footstep. All in all, the line missed on a lot of little things that will probably lead me to choose a different cruise line next time.

Not bad but not great

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by Chippewa74

Chippewa74’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Gem price drops

• Acadia National Park
    Acadia National Park is beautiful and well worth seeing. The Looking Glass is actually a restaurant. I'd thought it was a scenic stop or something. While the blueberry pie there is outstanding a tour with something else might be more worth your time and money.
    View All 205 Acadia National Park Reviews
  • Culinary Tour
    It is what it says it is. If you like food (especially oysters and mussels) you'll enjoy it. It's a walking tour which you're going to need anyway after several days on a cruise ship. Ironic you'll be eating though. Our guide, Paul, was excellent and provided a wealth of information about the industries of lobster, oysters, and mussels as well as history of the area. Very well done.
    View All 9 Culinary Tour Reviews
  • Bus Tour
    This was the Hop On, Hop Off excursion. It's an excellent way to hear about Halifax. A stop at the Maritime Museum and the Fortress was included and buses came along about every 30 minutes. The guides did a nice job of providing information and giving directions.
  • Quebec City
    This is a long tour by motor coach but it does give you a great look at both Quebec City and the surrounding area including Montmorency Falls and Ste. Anne de Beaupre Basilica.
    View All 13,750 Quebec City Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Quebec City Cruise Port Review
  • Saguenay National Park
    This was the Hiking Saguenay National Park (not the leisurely stroll in the same area). Please note: When they say you need to be an experienced hiker and that you need to be in good shape they are being accurate. If you get gassed going up four floors of stairs at once do NOT do this excursion. It is a path but the path is made of large stones and you step on the stones to hike the trail. It is about as step as you can do without using you hands. It goes up quite a ways and the pace was brisk. However, if you are in good enough shape to make it by all means take this excursion. Very scenic. Good solid shoes are helpful and maybe trekking poles. Happy I did it but it took me to the limit.... but then I'm an old codger. Younger folks may not be as tested by the hike. My only complaint was that I wish they'd allotted an extra hour to do it. There was much more that could have been seen but we had to be back at the bus and going down is just as time consuming as you must take care to choose your steps wisely.
    View All 2 Saguenay National Park Reviews
  • Saint John (New Brunswick)
    Timing worked out perfectly as we saw the Reversing Rapids, went and saw other things, then came back to see the river running the opposite direction. Very cool.
    View All 13,750 Saint John (New Brunswick) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Saint John (New Brunswick) Cruise Port Review
  • Sydney (Nova Scotia)
    Very nice stop at a local museum where local volunteers made you feel extremely welcome. This probably isn't one you're going to rave about but it was nicely done and gave you a good overview of the area and its history.
    View All 13,750 Sydney (Nova Scotia) Cruise Port Reviews