3. Celebrity Silhouette
We were very disappointed that our latest cruise on Silhouette did not come close to our expectations, especially as our travel agent had personally recommended Celebrity. Our previous cruise on their Eclipse vessel was a much more enjoyable event. I had recently suffered the loss of my mother, close to our holiday date, and was in need of a refreshing break to assist the grieving process. The problems started on the very first evening with a lack of staff in the Martini bar, both preparing drinks and serving customers. This got worse on the second day when I waited at the sports bar for over 5 minutes for a member of staff to appear, I left before anyone came to serve me. I had purchased the 'Premium' package, however on many occasions I was informed by the bar staff that the drink I requested was not available from that location, on some rare instances the bar staff went to fetch the required brand from the nearest point that the stock was available from, on others I was only offered what was available from that serving point. On receipt of many drinks the tonic supplied was flat making the drink very poor to the taste, later in the cruise the tonic became of a cheaper brand, then in the last few days no lime was available from the bars. Not my definition of a 'Premium' package at all, and possibly in breach of contract! I along with other passengers reported a trip hazard in the Sky Lounge which could have caused a fall, it took over 5 days for the rectification to be completed, far too long with the many elderly and poor mobility passengers on board. There were also some strange decisions regarding the scheduling of events during the trip, the very popular comedian Steve Womack had his second show put in the small show lounge, even when the main theatre was not being utilised. A great number of the passengers were not able to see this show due to the lack of space, many that attended were unable to find seats and had to stand for the entire performance. Towards the end of the cruise the quizzes which were very popular were relocated to the bottom foyer on deck 3, this was ridiculous due to the lack of seating available, with many guests having to stand if they wished to participate. The Sky Lounge was reserved for a poorly attended art auction, which could have been moved to a more suitable location rather than relocating the majority of passengers to the bottom of the atrium stairs. This happened on more that one occasion, to the annoyance of a great number of passengers. There were also issues with regard to the serving of alcohol to obviously inebriated guests, this happened on several occasions, both in the bars and casino area. We now come the the false description issued regarding the berthing in Ajaccio, in was published that the ship would berth in the docking area, however that was changed to a tender provision. Several passengers with poor mobility were unable to leave the ship, those that did should be given a rebate for the reduction in mooring fees levied on the ship. In other ports it was obvious that we were being berthed in the cheapest available spot, which caused long walks to be undertaken, or worse still expensive shuttle journeys arranged by Celebrity. The standards of customer service offered are now far below that of a perceived premium brand, that Celebrity aspires to be.Too many corners are being cut in order to achieve bottom line results, with total disregard for paying passengers, who have a choice where to spend their hard earned money. An example of this was the very miniscule canapes delivered to us as concierge level guests every afternoon, which must have been an embarrassment to the person preparing them. On a positive note our stateroom attendant Clifton was extremely efficient and polite, displaying a level of service sadly lacking from his employers. The standard of cuisine on the main restaurant was again very high, and the choice in the buffet upstairs was also very good. However there were too many areas that were not to the expected standard, and did not represent value for money, we have cruised many times in the past 20 years with a rival company, but moved to Celebrity at our agents suggestion. If we were alone in our disappointment it would not be as concerning, however during the two weeks we had conversations with many other passengers, most returning Celebrity travellers, without exception they all reported that standards had gone down and were not totally satisfied with their holiday. We will have to think long and hard before seriously considering another Celebrity cruise after the past two weeks on the Silhouette.

Standards are slipping

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by Terry Thorpe

Terry Thorpe’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Silhouette price drops

Concierge Class
Cabin C2 2138
Very good with a very efficient cabin steward Clifton who went out of his way to ensure that we enjoyed our stay.
Resort Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins