Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review
3,650 Reviews

NCL? I'll think twice next time.

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by TriniTO

• Sail Date: Sep 2018
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

Booked this cruise two years ago for the itinerary, my party of eight traveled from Canada and USA for this once in a lifetime opportunity to see some parts of the world we only dreamed of visiting. We all arrived a couple of days ahead in Copenhagen and enjoyed the city pre-cruise. Boarding day I met a crew member in the check in terminal and during conversation he mentioned that they had bypassed Sweden on the two previous sailings... that started my anxiety which became a little more a few minutes later when on checking in were informed that we we not going to stop in Germany due to weather.. it came to my attention that this decision had already been mad 2-3 days prior on the previous cruise so the decision based on weather became questionable. So we get to Tallinn, Estonia on schedule and once back on board after our tour were informed that due to weather we were going to spend another night and day tied up in port taking us one day late into St Petersburg, Russia, no problem getting there and unfortunately we will be bypassing Helsinki, Finland and Nynasham, Sweden due to weather. While we cannot control the weather and it is best to be safe than sorry.. and also understanding the fine print when we signed up, I believe NCL should have offered some kind of compensation to its guests in the form of future cruise credits (they did refund the port charges). I called NCL guest relations at head office and the person on their end could only keep spewing a generic apology and ending with unfortunately ba, bla weather bla bla you signed bla bla.. NCL you won't be seeing me anytime soon.

Ship:Sailed on the escape last year same layout ..

Food: Buffet food .. boring.. same breakfast every day, had to really search for something interesting on other occasions for lunch and dinner. Main dining rooms,, food was good and bad hit and miss..speciality dining rooms Cagney's very good, La Cuchina very good.. Le Bistro not bad but not great..

Shows.. was disappointed with change in itenarary so I did not bother going to any shows..

My biggest peeve is with the use of the atrium lounge for the activities.. not big enough and always too crowded .. same on the Escape.. I came to the conclusion that it was because of the proximity to the Atrium bar and O'Sheehans bar above is why they have these nighttime activities in the atrium.

Room: Spacious and well done with ample storage but smaller balcony.

TriniTO's Full Rating Summary