• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Carnival Pride Review

Editor Rating
6 Awards

A very honest review and a few tips :)

Review for Carnival Pride to the Eastern Caribbean
Jenniboots
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Sep 2018
Cabin: Extended Balcony

My husband and I cruised 9-30 through 10-7-2018... We live outside of Richmond so it was a simple 3.5 hour ride to Baltimore and decided to drive up the day before and stay.. (We stayed at Arundal Mills The Perserve Hotel Park and stay which was awesome because our car was safe in a garage for the week, we had a nice room and it was basically the same price as a parking space at the terminal) A quick uber to and from the hotel to port was ideal. 15-20 bucks each way and boom back at the car and on the way home in minutes.

We booked about 1 month out and chose a cabin 8K , 7160 Premuim Balcony room.. We knew going in the ship was older. This was never a problem and overall I thought the ship itself was fine. It is going into dry dock in Feb 2019. Some of the decor was not our taste but overall they do a very good job cleaning. Baltimore port was great.. On the ship in about 30 minutes total.

Our room was fine, a bit out-dated but we did not really care as long as it was clean and comfortable. Its an old ship. Our room staff was fantastic and they work extremely hard. 10 hour days, 7 days per week. That actually made me sad. Leave extra cash on the bed when you leave it in the morning. They work hard. I was impressed they knew our names after the first night.

Extended Balcony

Cabin 8K

Port Reviews

Freeport

Food was good in the dinning room. We decided to book the Chef's Table and OMG it is fantastic.. They take you down in the galley of the kitchen and you can see the workings of the staff, system, etc.. during dinner. They serve approx 950 guest in an hour. Crazy but really interesting. Totally worth the money to do this and the food was really good.

I was not a fan on the other area.. The food was greasy or not my style. We are more healthy option people and that was very limited in my opinion. I wish they had a smoothie bar, more salad options, protien bar, etc. I wouldve paid for that option. I guess because I work in a hospital it amazed me the amount of food people ate or piled their plates up and just left. I felt this was just a waste of food. Bonasi sushi was fantastic. David's steakhouse was great.

Pools were nice. Shows fun, casino would have been better if it was smoke free..It smelled like an old grandma"s house that is a smoker.. Strong perfume, musty and smoky LOL... but it is true. Dr. E made the entire cruise.. He is hilarious. Laura in the dance group was so sweet and sent a gift to our room. A fellow London girl :)

Tips: Bring a power strip (only one plug in the room) a beach towel, towel clips, They do not give towels out until 8-9 am, clip to hold your towel in place from the wind, lanyard for sail card, noise machine (you hear everything) fan, (our room was hot), Yeti type cup, Just easier, hand sanitzer and lysol to spray or wipe down cabin. and leave extra tip money above your 15% for the staff. A few dollars extra per day is just nice. They work hard.

Overall I think the cruise was about a 6.8 out of a 10. Ports were just ok to me. I liked Turks the best. Freeport is a trinket hell of nothing and we were back on board with in an hour.

What bothered me was how inconsiderate the people were.. Letting the doors slam going in and out of the cabins at all hours was just rude to me.. The door going to the deck I understand wind can get to it but to let it continuely slam over and over for a week is inconsiderate. The drunkedness of multipule guest screaming up and down the hall at 2am almost every night. These are not the fault of the cruise and I understand that but it took away from my experience.

Would I travel again with Carnival.. I am on the fence on that.. Staff was overall pleasant, ship was what I expected, food in dining room was good, but food on LIDO deck was just not for me or my husband. Kids running everywhere out of control, drunks, and inconsiderate people, smokey casio would having me thinking again. Maybe If I did another cruise I would choice another port just because :)

7 Helpful Votes