3. Columbus
We chose this cruise because it was visiting places I am ashamed to say we had not yet visited - although virtually on our doorstep! We have cruised a lot - once or sometimes twice a year for the last 40 years with various shipping companies. On this cruise leaving from Tilbury we were to visit Kirkwall in the Orkneys, the Isle of Skye then onto Ireland and finally France. Generally the ship is nice but not sumptuous by any means. Checking in was trouble free. Our window cabin was smaller than most and definitely very tired. The Pink plastic sink had seen much better times, part of the ceiling was not fitted properly, the chair had numerous stains, the soap dispenser in the shower was empty, the air conditioning was noisy, but the worst crime was NYLON sheets (I did not know they still made them)etc. however we had no intention of spending our holiday in the cabin so we accepted it. On complaining about the sheets we were given cotton mix ones. We do not do self service so we ate in the waterfront restaurant for breakfast and dinner. This was like two different experiences! Breakfast was hurried, bacon dry and hard, sausages like cardboard but worse the tea was always cold - the coffee looked better. In the evening the service was much more civilized, food hot and tasty with plenty of choice and no rush - we were second sitting. Evening entertainment passed the hour before dinner with a drink in hand but I would not go to see any of them off the ship although the violinist and pianist were excelllent. The singers were shouting most of the time even though they had mikes, the comedian and magician were OK. Certainly not the best on board entertainment and during the day very little "events", mainly a quiz or two, a lecture and a lot of private functions. Excursions were very expensive, average £45 per person for half a day. To sum up - you get what you pay for. We got this cruise on a second person half price deal, which talking to others was the deal most people went on. Do not expect a high dining experience, do not expect chocolates on your pillow or towels made into animals, do not expect free toiletries (we got a mini bar of soap and shower gel that was pretty unpleasant), Do expect to pay £2.80 for a bottle of water (yes!!), do expect to be treated like cattle for breakfast and lunch and do expect to vacate your cabin by 7am on the last day but not be allowed off the ship for another 2 to 3 hours. Would I go again? At the right price I would but I do think that for maybe no more than £10-20 a head they could include some little extras that make the holiday a bit more memorable - and please get rid of the nylon sheets!

Good for the price!

Columbus Cruise Review by Barbieanne

Barbieanne’s Full Rating Summary
Get Columbus price drops

Small, dated and tired, no little extras, bottle of water £2.80. But best thing there was Tea and coffee making facilities.