• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

darstamp
6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Sep 2018
Cabin: Oceanview

I chose this cruise because it left from Vancouver and came back to Vancouver, which is my home port. This was my first time on Princess and the first cruise for my daughter who came with me. The Emerald Princess has a capacity of 3500 passengers and was extremely crowded. There is not enough public space for that many people and too much space is given over to selling artwork and photographs. There were line-ups for anytime dining and the tiny atrium was standing room only. Because of the line-ups, we ate later than we normally would have and as a result, were not able to attend many of the entertainment events. Often we arrived to find there were no seats left at all. Sharing tables with others in the Horizon Court buffet was the norm. I found it difficult to tell direction on this ship, even after 10 days, and signage for the restrooms was poor.

We ate breakfast and some lunches in Horizon Court and found it to be adequate. We had very nice dinners in the paid venues Crown Grill, Crab Shack and twice in the Saltydog gastropub. We really enjoyed the appetizers, soups and desserts in the main dining room and we liked the pub lunch in the Wheelhouse Bar. Our favourite place was Vines where we received excellent service and enjoyed the tapas and California rolls.

We watched the Wake show in the morning which started our day with good laughs and good information. Our favourite event was the ABBA trivia session hosted by Jen and Omparo (sp?) but we also enjoyed comedian Steve Caouette, music group Pinnacle, the Walker Black Duo and the Sun Shine Duo.

Oceanview

Cabin OF

We had an oceanview cabin on Deck 5 which was handy to the International Cafe and Vines wine bar. The beds were comfortable although I found the pillows much too soft, and there was plenty of storage. The air conditioning was inadequate although we had it checked and were told it was working properly. There was a constant sound of water gurgling and running coming through the walls so if you are sensitive to that sort of thing you should avoid room P230 and possibly that area.

Port Reviews

Vancouver

Returning to Vancouver I had to wait almost 2 hours in a line for a taxi. A black mark for a beautiful city that won't allow Uber or shuttles. What a terrible impression that must leave with visitors.

Santa Barbara

Beautiful little town, great lunch, beautiful scenery as we drove to a winery and enjoyed wine tasting and cupcakes. Tendering was very well done.

San Francisco

Nice little town. Had a delicious bowl of soup at a local restaurant.

10 Helpful Vote