3. Silver Wind
Because we loved the itinerary and to celebrate my 75th birthday. However, what we had planned for and looked forward to for a year, ended in a distressing and devastating experience, cut short by stormy seas and ports not on the itinerary we had chosen, but rather selected by the captain due to inability to go to any of the ports on the schedule. Of the seven selected and scheduled ports, the ship went to only one of those. Aside from the tremendous disappointment of not being able to visit the places we had hoped to see, the discomfort of being on a ship in such stormy and rocky waters made for a most unpleasant and frightening experience. Unhappily, the Captain never gave advance information, but chose to announce it the evening before. Shortly after leaving our embarkation port of Tower Bridge the Captain announced because of severe weather ahead we would not be going to our first port but directly to our second port, Cork. And we did not go to any other of the scheduled ports. On the second day at sea, after having to forego our first port of call, the Captain announced we would not be going to the original destination. The weather and sea was severely stormy and I became deathly seasick, requiring the services of the ship's doctor. He came to our suite as I was not able to get out of bed. I was given an injection and was unable to leave the suite for the rest of the afternoon and evening. On the fifth day of the cruise the Captain again announced we would not be able to go to any of the next several ports, but would have to be on stormy waters for 36 hours heading directly to the final destination of Reykjavik. It was at this point I knew I could not endure that kind of sickness and misery. My husband was able to arrange a flight home from Glasgow at an additional cost of $2000 and extreme stress and agitation that caused. While this ship and Silversea Cruise Lines touts themselves as a luxury line with the utmost in comfort, care and luxury, we found the ship to be in a very distressed state and in need of refurbishing and cleaning. The thermostat in our suite never worked correctly, causing great discomfort of either being too hot or too cold. The water temperature in the shower would go from comfortable to scalding without any change being initiated. The towels and bathmats were thin and frayed and in desperate need of replacing. The drapes on the windows did not close properly, allowing a bright slit of sun to enter the room long before one would necessarily want to be awakened. And one of the more annoying issues for us began the very first evening. We were on the 7th floor, and the pool area was on the floor above us. Starting at 10:30pm and ending at midnight, or as early as 5am, the crew would be putting tables and chairs or chaise lounges away and would scrape them on the floor. Though we reported this problem immediately at least 5 times, it never ceased. This experience has put me off of cruising entirely. My husband, in particular, loves to cruise. It should be a wonderful way to enjoy the company of new friends and seeing fun and exciting places. That is not what happened and I would greatly urge anyone considering sailing on this cruise line to be aware of the lack of attention to the safety and concern for the guests and lack of caring and thoughtfulness expressed to their disappointment and distress.

Misery on The Silverwind

Silver Wind Cruise Review by LarryJS

LarryJS’s Full Rating Summary
Get Silversea Silver Wind price drops

Midship Veranda Suite
Cabin DV 729
The suites are in dire need of refurbishing and updating. It is worn out and in dire need of plumbing, electrical, fluffy towels and bathmats. Everything in the suite looks tired and old. A/C and heating does not work properly, water in shower changes from normal to scalding.
Deck 7 Suite Cabins