3. Norwegian Breakaway
We chose this cruise because of the itinerary. It started in Copenhagen with stops near Berlin and in Tallinn, Estonia, on the way to spending two days and a night in St. Petersburg, Russia. On the way back to Copenhagen, we were scheduled to stop in Helsinki and Stockholm. Unlike similar cruises, the dates allowed us to see the Russian ballet. We were excited about it. The line canceled the stops near Berlin and then holed up in Tallinn for an extra day, ostensibly because of the weather. I'm a sailor – I understand weather issues and I would never suggest that the captain ignore that risk. But I do think it was the responsibility of the captain and the cruise line to juggle the remaining schedule to maximize stops in the promised places. Instead, stops in Helsinki and Stockholm were canceled as well. We spent most of our trip onboard ship – without the addition of entertainment, day trips or really anything. An hour-long ferry ride to Helsinki from Tallinn could have been easily arranged. A brief stop in Stockholm was clearly possible – we could see the city as we crawled toward Copenhagen so we didn't arrive too early. There were no apologies and no compensation was offered for the diminished experience. If we hadn't been on the ship so much, I probably would have overlooked its shortcomings. As it was, it bothered me enormously that the Wi-Fi was inadequate and costly. The lack seriously hindered communication on the ship – no catching up with friends lost among the 3,000 people onboard and no ability to work or check on things at home during the long, slow days with nothing to do. I was also annoyed by the dining arrangements. The cafeteria where most of the meals were served was so crowded that it was impossible to find a table. One person had to grab one while the others snagged food. To add insult to injury, one member of our party chomped down on a metal screw that was hidden in her salad and broke her tooth. Initially, the customer service people refused to take a report. She persisted and, ultimately, saw a doctor (no dentist onboard) whose first question was, "Why didn't you report this earlier?" I've cruised often on other lines and – and had itineraries changed because of weather – but never had an experience that was as negative overall as this one. I would never travel on Norwegian again.

Worst cruise I have ever taken

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Jennie P

• Sail Date: September 2018
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

Jennie P’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BD 14844
A month before the cruise we were asked to bid on a cabin upgrade. We bid $200 total – $100 each – for a larger room with a larger balcony on a higher deck. The bid was accepted. I'm usually content to be in lesser accommodations, but because of the shrinking of our itinerary and the amount of time we ended up spending in our room, we were grateful for the upgrade.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Copenhagen
    I had been to Copenhagen before. We stayed at the Phoenix Copenhagen, which is an old, very well located hotel. We took an hourlong river cruise and enjoyed it, but mostly we walked and shopped and ate at wonderful places – and had a great time.
    View All 1,069 Copenhagen Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Copenhagen Cruise Port Review
  • Catherine Palace
    Wow, an amazing display of opulence. The czars lived the good life
    View All 202 Catherine Palace Reviews
  • Hermitage Museum
    A beautiful collection. Our excellent, knowledgeable guide made all the difference. She steered us through the crowds and maximized the time available.
    View All 326 Hermitage Museum Reviews
  • Peter & Paul Fortress
    The czars are buried here and, frankly, by the time we got here, I thought I had seen enough of both churches and czarist history. But this turned out to be a highlight capped by a brief concert by an a capella quartet of priests.
    View All 104 Peter & Paul Fortress Reviews
  • Peterhof Palace
    Such beauty and opulence. The czars had it all. I only wish that the tour included more about the how the ordinary people -- the servants -- lived.
    View All 207 Peterhof Palace Reviews
  • Tallinn
    I had never been to Tallinn and was gratified to find – because we had an extra day here – that it was charming. The walled old city has cobblestone streets and medieval architecture. We enjoyed the churches and the castle – no guide but most things were well labeled in English. We also liked the many arts and crafts galleries – beautiful and unusual things to view and for sale. The second – unplanned day – we went to the modern part of the city, which was less charming but still interesting. Beneath a large hotel built during the Soviet era there is a bustling shopping mall. While some of the stores had familiar names, many didn't and we enjoyed seeing how the "real" people lived and shopped.
    View All 979 Tallinn Cruise Port Reviews