• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Monterey Girll
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Sep 2018
Cabin: Balcony

We chose this cruise because of the itinerary, which did not disappoint until the last three ports were cancelled due to weather.The ports were:First half of cruise: Guernsey, Cork, Dublin, Belfast, Greenock, Orkney, Invergorden, Edinburgh, LeHavre, Second half of cruise: Rotterdam, Hamburg..cancelled: Bergen Norway, Belfast and Newfoundland because of extreme weather conditions.Better safe than sorry is the phrase to remember when on the high seas!

We flew from the West Coast of the U.S via princess EZAir on Delta Airlines and landed mid morning at Heathrow. Absolutely NO problems w/the flight. I reserved a driver from BA Transfers on line before leaving home. Very easy to set up and the price seemed reasonable for the service..who wants to schlep bags after such a long, LONG flight in a strange city? NOT US. The driver was on time w/a sign w/our name and took us directly to our hotel. He loaded and unloaded our bags.

We stayed 3 days in London at the Grosvenor Hotel near Victoria Station. We both LOVED everything about this hotel. I wrote a complete review on TripAdvisor with my Cruise Critic name: Monterey Girll. I reserved tickets for a Buckingham Palace and Gardens Tour for our first day in London before leaving home. It was less than a mile from the Grosvenor. The tour was actually kind of disappointing. Or maybe I was expecting too much. Either way, I was glad we went but I won't go again. There is a kind of outdoor pavilion where you can buy food after the palace tour. Food was just OK. The next day we bought OYSTER cards for travel on the Tube. Kind of like a credit card that you can refill as needed or get any remaining money back before you leave town.It saves you money and time. We went to the Victoria and Albert Museum. You get off and walk a bit in a tunnel and wa-la, there is an entrance to the museum. Very handy on a cold, wet day. Wandered around the clothing, jewelry and silver exhibits. Had a quick bite there in a kind of cafeteria which was OK. Later saw a lovely dining room in the museum where they were serving lunch. I should have done more homework on where to eat in the museum before we left home.Would definitely like to go back someday and explore more of the museum and eat in that lovely dining room. From there we walked to the Princess Diana Memorial Fountain and surrounding area.I know it was designed and built for kids but honesty, I was underwhelmed. It looked like a giant cement circular slip and slide. No statuary or bubbling fountains. Again, I was glad we went but I won't go again. We had breakfast every day at our hotel. (See my TripAdvisor review of the Grosvenor Hotel) We had dinner one night at a pub across the street called Shakespeare.My fish and chips were perfect. Husband had a kind of French dip sandwich and fries that he also liked., plus a pint. Next night we walked about a block to another pub called Bag O'Nails, which to be honest , the name was what attracted us. I think it must be run by the same people as Shakespeare. Same menu but this place is not nearly as large.OK food.

Balcony

Cabin BA

We had a confirmed cabin but decided to try our luck w/a guaranteed cabin. We did not get an assigned cabin until about a week before sailing and did NOT get an upgrade. It may have been the same category as our first choice but this one had life boats under it altho our view was not technically obstructed. We were very far from the elevators. I will never opt for the guaranteed cabin selection again! We saved some money but the hassle was simply NOT worth it.Configuration of the room was comfortable. Bed, blanket and pillows all very comfortable.Closet and adjoining storage space adequate.Plenty of hangers. The bathroom had almost no storage at all. We used a shoe pocket hanger on the back of the bathroom door which is a life saver on a cruise ship. We seldom saw our room steward. This is a relatively new ship but IMO the cabins need updating. ONE outlet on a desk across the room to plug in and charge everything? Why not have charging ports in the nightstand lamps like hotel do? Or at least a a couple more sockets? Phone was also across the room and not next to the bed. The shampoo and body wash in the dispensers is cheap and awful. BTW, they do not use these "luxurious" products in the hair salon. They also need to be marked better. The print is tiny. Who wears glasses in the shower? Half the women I spoke to thot the body wash was hair conditioner. I also strongly object to being charged for a bottle of water in my room. First bottle should be free or don't put any of it in the room! I HATE being nickeled and dimed to death.Our air conditioner mostly did not work..sometimes not at all. We called and were told there was an electrical problem with the system. Many people we talked to had the same problem. Curious as to when these rooms are REALLY cleaned. The carpet was pretty filthy......

12 Helpful Votes