3. Marella Explorer
My husband and I set sail on the 1st September on the Highlights of the Mediterranean and Mediterranean Secrets cruise. We were impressed with the ship especially the layout it was spacious with lots of seating areas. Having been on the Discovery two where the entertainment was exceptional, Daniella, Sammy and Reggae Band to name just a few and the cruise Director and Assistant very in touch with the passengers, we were disappointed this time. Explorer appears to be catering for younger cruises as the entertainment team were all very young and whilst we were sure, probably good for a younger clientele, we and many of those we spoke to were of the same opinion that it was not suited to the majority of passengers on Explorer at this time. The ship appears to lack atmosphere. This may because its fairly new and perhaps will improve with time. The food was exceptional!, there were no repeats during the two weeks. Service in the Latitude was poor. The poor waiters /waitresses were run off their feet. There did not appear to be enough staff in this area. We complained and were moved around the restaurant during the week that we were able to visit. , sadly wherever we were placed the service did not improve. All other areas were good. Unfortunately my husband was taken very ill on the cruise resulting in him spending a considerable time in the medical centre and in hospital in St Raphael and Palma. I Must now say how delighted we were to the medical staff and the doctor on board and want to say a huge BIG thankyou Their care and attention was second to none and we cannot thank you enough, nothing was too much trouble during the day or in the middle of the night, I had not realised that Tui Marella employed a welfare worker, again many thanks to Elaine for her care and diligence escorting us on both occasions to hospital and assisting with insurance queries/taxis/medication etc. Eric our Cabin Steward was so very kind and ensured that we were given the care and attention and privacy during the week that my husband was unwell and needing to spend time in the cabin. A special thank you to the girls in Latitude they always had a smile on their faces and tried to accommodate us where ever they could. The destinations were fabulous, we were disappointed that the illness prevented us from benefitting from what I think would have been a very good cruise. Hopefully Tui Marella will sort some of these small teething problems out and Explorer will soon enjoy the warm and friendly atmosphere that the other ships in the fleet offer.

Outstanding Medical Staff

Marella Explorer Cruise Review by Floydruben2017

The food was exceptional!, there were no repeats during the two weeks.

Floydruben2017’s Full Rating Summary
Get Marella Explorer price drops

Very well set out Cabin. Cleaned beautifully by our Steward Eric. Nothing was too much trouble for him.