3. Enchantment of the Seas
My wife and I chose this cruise for my 50th birthday. This was my ninth cruise and her 11th - all in six years. We've cruised Celebrity, Royal, Carnival and Norwegian and loved them all. The best vacation we have ever taken was on the Freedom of the Seas in 2013. Consequently, we had high expectations for this trip. Many of them were met but I'm starting to think the class of ship you sail does indeed make a big difference. Ultimately, we had a fantastic experience but Enchantment is showing her age and for whatever reason, there seemed to be a lot of smoking areas on board which was very different than on any of the other ships we've sailed. Cruising during hurricane season is definitely cheaper (worth it) but if you think the ship is going to be empty given the season and the fact that kids are back in school, think again. I learned this firsthand. We were in stateroom 8593. The best part of the room is it was very, very cool in temperature. A nice change from the Carnival ship we sailed in June (the Magic). However, unlike the serenity of the Magic, 8593 is above the 5th deck Centrum where they program music until midnight daily. Since our room was first on the hallway outside the center area, it was like being in the middle of a concert. It was bad. When we called guest services they didn't understand our concern so they came upstairs to see if they could hear it. There is NO WAY you could miss it. They offered us earplugs but honestly, we never used them. They should just figure out how to install a door of some type off the open area which will minimize the noise. We just figured out the rest of the week that we had to stay up late to avoid the issue nightly. Our stateroom attendant, Sylvio, was excellent. The room was always clean. The storage was good but the shower is unbelievably small. Not a problem, mind you, but just be aware. The wonderful thing about a smaller ship like the Enchantment is everything seems so accessible. Even though we used the stairs most of the time, we seldom had to wait for elevators and from deck eight, everything we needed was either four decks up or down. That was really nice. Dinner in the My Fair Lady dining room was good. We were seated at a table for eight and enjoyed our dinner companions very much. We really lucked out. Lady, our lead server, was outstanding. The food is plentiful, the service was unbelievably good but we've decided the food on Carnival is better. Entertainment was excellent. The shows are much better aboard RCI than they are on Norwegian or Carnival. This was the first cruise where we actually liked the comedian. I don't recall his name but even the adult show wasn't too much and it was indeed funny. The pools were crowded so we didn't bother but I did the climbing wall and the bounce/trampoline thing which were great fun. The Windjammer is to be avoided at all costs. The design makes zero sense for all those people and we never could figure it out. The food is tasty but it's so unpleasant that we ate our breakfasts in the main dining room each morning. Coco Cay was an absolutely perfect day. The beach, lunch and water were unreal. We had been before and I was looking forward to it again. It did not disappoint. I will remember that day for a very long time. When they open the "Perfect Day at Coco Cay" experience next year, I will be racing to go back. 'Crusin Susan' was our CD and she was hilarious. We liked her very much. The staff overall was very strong, the fitness facilities and spa were nice and the theater was actually bigger than we have seen which meant seating wasn't an issue. The Love and Marriage Show, the Quest and other staples of cruising were all there and we loved them all. Overall, we had a very good trip but I probably would not sail the Enchantment again. It's time for a dry dock and some rethinking of space usage on board. However, I'm addicted to cruising (it's absolutely the best value vacation out there) and while on board we booked for next year aboard the Adventure of the Seas to New England and Canada. RCI offers a great cruise experience - all the lines we have sailed do - so no brand loyalty here. Can't wait till next year!

Great trip but only Semi-Enchanted

Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by STLbbfan

• Sail Date: September 2018
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Interior

STLbbfan’s Full Rating Summary

Interior
Cabin 2V 8593
See full review. Some good, some not so much.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins