3. Oosterdam
My husband wanted to go on this cruise to go back to many of the spots we had visited while he was in the army. We have sailed on several different cruise lines, but have always preferred Holland America. This cruise offered 2 days in Venice before embarkation. These were very successful. We accidently found out that some tours were offered besides the evening cocktail party at a Venetian Palace. That was also very enjoyable with Bellini’s and heavy appetizers. I told a couple we met who had never sailed on Holland America how they would be impressed as it was a classic cruise line. I was embarrassed as we boarded the ship. There were no wheelchairs, which I needed at embarkation. There was a 300 foot walk. All elevators in the ship had scars and small tears on the walls. There were several broken windows around the public areas. Some windows also were clouded and did not give a clear view. The dining room was half empty when we would eat at the early dinner hour; the food was fine, but seemed to be better in the Lido which offered the same as the ding room with many more additional items. One excursion was changed from moderate to strenuous, and we were graciously refunded our money for that We were given a complementary dinner in the Canaletto because of my husband’s complaints about no wheelchairs at embarkation and a huge lack of help and care for handicapped cruisers during the lifeboat drill. One crew member said they were there for only emergencies. We had an early flight home. One wheelchair was available for debarkation, so another couple let me take it. At the airport we were just left with the piles of baggage in the terminal and there seemed to be no directions on how to find your airline.

A tired ship

wogan’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Oosterdam price drops

Signature Superior Verandah Suite
Cabin SS 6076
Our balcony had a table that was so stained with rings; it just did no match what we have encountered before in other HAL furniture. The door to the balcony had a broken cover around the handle, so it always gave a loud squeak opening and closing.

The room stewards were the best we have had, they seemed to work magic in getting the room cleaned. The whole ship was clean as long as you ignored some spots, such as in our room where the floor molding was masking taped together.
Our signature suite gave ample storage, except one suitcase would not fit under the bed and had to be stored in a closet.
Upper Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Nice & Eze
    Very good especially if you are interested in the winding roads above Monte Carlo to Nice. Again stopped in a square for an hour after passing by Nice's sites.
    View All 29 Nice & Eze Reviews