3. Marella Discovery
We started cruising in 1987 when the ships were smaller and the food and service was excellent but over the years the ships got larger and larger the food and service deteriated to such an extent that we cruised twice in 2017 on these floating theme parks we said that's it no more cruising for us. A friend recommended marella which turned out to be brilliant just like cruising used to be we booked a suite which was massive, every member of the crew were friendly and seemed happy in their work and couldn't do enough for us.Within two days most of the crew and senior officers were calling us by our name. The ship was spotless in all departments and whether you ate in the restruants or the self service islands the choice of food and service was as good as any ship we have been on. The performers in the shows were absolutely brilliant, I'm not a fan of singing and dancing shows and always sit on the isle so I wouldn't disturb people when I left early, on this ship the show and the talent was so good I sat through every show. Despite the drinks being free the waiters were always offering you drinks and being free you would have thought they would be slow to keep the costs down but the opposite was true. My wife complained that the ship lacked the wow factor but compared with other ships I found it homely comfortable and very friendly, we could all find something to complain about but my only complaint is this ship isn't based in Southampton and doing the Mediterranean as if it was I wouldn't consider using any other shipping line .

A really happy ship