I recently took a cruise on NCL Gem, this was our 5th cruise with NCL and 38th cruise overall. This was their New England/Canada cruise dated Sept 8th.
No complains regarding the "actual crew" however there were several incidents that I can only blame on their supervisors.
1) The library was only open for a minimal amount of time twice daily. This did not allowed those passengers on tours to check out books. Very irrational rule.
2) Twice during breakfast in the rear (open air) sitting area of the buffet there was no ice, nor water available to the passengers. Only when several passengers complained very loudly to the ship's officers present was anything done about the situation.
3) Three times during the breakfast buffet the orange juice ran out and when passengers complained they were advised that they were out. How can they run out of orange juice during their breakfast schedule?
4) The Tiki bar on deck 13 was the only place (besides the casino) that passengers could smoke therefore a large group would gather there to smoke and drink coffee. However, the coffee available was ALWAYS ice cold even though they knew that many passengers wanted hot coffee that early in the morning. Only by being very vocal and loud could we get any of the crew members present to bring us HOT coffee.
5) The casino was one of the worst at sea casinos that I have ever seen. Old, dated slots, rigged to not pay.
I do not blame the crew for these issues, I blame the officers for doing a very poor job regarding the needs of the passengers. In not a single other vessel that I have been on these issues would had never allowed by the supervisory staff.
As such I will not ever sail on the Gen again!