3. MSC Poesia
We booked this over a year before sailing. MSC would not let us bolt on a couple of days in Venice and the return flight home was too early to have an excursion, so sadly we did not get chance to go into Venice, although you did get to see the edge of it on the sail away. I also had to chase the flight details and paperwork information a couple of weeks before departure as I had not received anything. And, I could not check-in online as the flights had been booked as a block booking, but luckily we did manage to sit together on the flight, unlike some others. The embankment was long winded but no problems. You are greeted with a drink and staff trying to sell you extras. We at this point upgrades our drinks all inclusive package so we were less limited and could use the mini bar in our room. Or cabin was very well presented, very compact, but luckily we had a balcony. The decor was very nice, and the bed very comfortable. We chose 2 sitting (the my-time dining was booked up when we booked the cruise) the time was 9.30, if I had known it was so late I would have booked the 8pm seating Time. So as the waiter service was so very slow, the portions are small, and we were usually got our mains by around 10.30. The waiters seemed very thin on the ground so even getting a drink took ages. Because of all this we went to the buffet restaurants some evenings as we didn’t want to eat that late. There are drinks waiters I the buffet restaurants, but it was very hard to get their attention, so was easier to get your own drinks up at the bar. All this took the edge off the cruise experience for us as we love dressing for dinner and chatting with our table companions at the end of each day. The food is lovely throughout the ship. Did not try room service so cannot comment. The evening entertainment...... one show was more than enough for us, it reminded us of a school panto, very amateur and a bit laughable at times. And Some others did agree! The daily activities...... for us, there was nothing of interest at all, again disappointing for us, as we do like to participate, and as dancing or taisting wine etc, seemed to be all on offer, we did get a bit bored at times. And I did not know of any entertainment team so cannot comment on them is there was. The bar staff, once you got their attention, were generally very polite. Luckily we found A very welcoming team of bar staff at The Mojito bar on Deck 13. The coffee selection is lovely. There is no English speaking channels on the TV, only euro news. All other languages are catered for though. And EVERY announcement in person or over the tannoy is repeated in FIVE languages..... this was very tedious. The Tender was badly organised and Long winded. There is a written booklet of brief information on the excursions. And nothing was mentioned about Dubrovnik NOT taking Euros in most of the shops and restaurants... that proved very anoying when we wanted to get a gift and a drink. We did not travel with children. The shops...... watches, bags and jewellery, whisky......that’s about it! A Very poor and expensive selection, and confusingly all situated around 2 decks. There are loads of bar areas which made the ship layout very confusing, even after a week we were still having to work out how to get to the areas we wanted. We spent more time walking through the main restaurant than we did sitting in it, to get to the main area of the sip. The disembarkment at the end was very slow, but luckily for us, we found out from talking to another passenger, that our flight home was at 12.55 instead of 3.55 which is what our info said! Good jod I didn’t book that quick gondola trip! All in all we had a relaxing chilled break with lovely food and drinks, we met some lovely people, and we got to see Dubrovnik, which we will return to at some point. This is my 2nd cruise with MSC (the first was just over 20 years ago) and I will not be choosing them again. I would not recommend it for the English as it is more geared up for the europeans....

Not recommended for Brits

MSC Poesia Cruise Review by Lisaandmikec

• Sail Date: September 2018
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom – Bella

The coffee selection is lovely.

The Tender was badly organised and Long winded.

We did not travel with children.

Lisaandmikec’s Full Rating Summary
Get MSC Poesia price drops

Balcony Stateroom – Bella
Cabin B1
Clean and well presented.
The shower was small and the curtain anoying. The bathroom did at times got a bit smelly, and THANKFULLY I had a balcony, as the room was very small. Especially round by the wardrobe and bathroom doors.
A kettle would be nice.
I had no towels folded into animals.... which is always a nice touch!
The mirror was way to large and in the wrong place to stand in front of for a full length dress view.
Ungaretti Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins