3. Ruby Princess
Watch you tube reviews of different ships before making your choice. Cruising costs a good chunk, but it should be well worth it. Alaska and it's ports were well worth it. However, ship staff, buffet, anytime dining, staterooms and staff helpful/friendliness fell flat. If you do choose to cruise with Princess, I highly recommend opting for club class. It's a little extra, but the perks are worth it. The dining alone is worth it. Club Class wait staff were exceptional and friendly. They always made us feel like guests. The food was excellent. I'm Italian and I'm usually leery of red sauce. Their sauce knocked my socks off. We never had a wait or a bad meal in CC. We often walked past anytime dining and saw long wait times. Important, if you want to catch excursions/shows. Don't waste your calories at the pub lunch. Fish fry was heavy and soggy. If you're going to pay an extra $29 pp in the Crown Grill Steakhouse, get the filet or the surf and turf. Filet in the dining rooms is great. Cooked perfectly every time. The buffet is a completely other story. They have hand sanitizing stations at the beginning of each line, but I hardly saw anyone use it or staff insisting people use it. There was never any seating in the main buffet room. You often had to walk around all the dining areas to find a seat for more than 2 people. Wait staff are there and milling about, but rarely are they helpful or offer to bring water (this is supposed to be a Princess buffet perk). The only time the buffet staff was available to help was when staff, in white coats, were present. I'm assuming they were supervisors. Staff serving the food were not nice. The international cafe staff was not nice, annoyed even. Steer clear of the EFFY store, even if they are offering free jewelry. It's not worth it. The Effy manager was high pressure, unfriendly and made us feel like we were wasting her time. The jewelry is overpriced costume. As luck of the draw, we had a Princess musician staying next to us. He played his guitar a couple of times, on the balcony next to us, and that was a wonderful bonus. The Lou Gazzara shows were great. He and the band were great entertainers. Stateroom was really outdated. The bathroom was spacious, but dilapidated with missing and cracked tiles. There is a shower curtain, which I abhor. It sticks to you and if you maneuver it, you'll get water all over the floor. I had to shift the shower head all the way to the side to avoid cleaning the bathroom floor. The view from the balcony was amazing. The balcony itself was outdated. The bed and pillows are very comfortable. The couch, chairs and balcony furniture is not. Trust me, I tried to catch the northern lights from my balcony for a few hours one night. The lounge chairs are not meant to lounge for long periods of time. The steward was efficient and timely. He was pleasant, but barely spoke to us. I don't remember his name, so that tells you something. We've cruised twice with Royal Caribbean and the steward was one of our favorite people on the ship! Overall, the ship staff was lacking, often times unfriendly and annoyed and couldn't be bothered. The exception to this was club class dining. Really, Club Class staff were really great. Although we paid for the friendliness. Overall it was an unforgettable trip. But Alaska is astonishingly beautiful in it's own right. The local people are great and very welcoming. We had a blast everytime we were off the ship. We booked a Viator, an Alaskan Shorline and a Princess excursion. All were great and worth the price. We traveled with our family, all adults, and made some priceless memories . My advice is to really research the ship and read reviews. I would absolutely 100% recommend an Alaskan Cruise that cruises through Glacier bay. The ship is up to you. Even with perks offered, if we cruise princess again, I would try another cruise line, just to compare. Happy Sailing!

Elite Ruby Princess falls short of expectations.

Ruby Princess Cruise Review by Stusse7

• Sail Date: September 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

Stusse7’s Full Rating Summary
Get Ruby Princess price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MD D422
Outdated but spacious. Comfortable Bed. Big balcony. Furniture could be a little more comfortable. A full sized couch, but completely uncomfortable, as the cushions were well used and flat.
Dolphin Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins