3. Viking Heimdal
We previously cruised the Rhine with another company. Relatives had done the same river with Viking and highly recommended it. We traveled with them on the Heimdal. For my husband and myself, we had been to Paris more than once and wanted to explore more of France. We did enjoy our Rhine River cruise with another company, but prefer the Viking cruise. Of course, the itinerary was different so a completely fair comparison can't be made, but I will say some of the things that put Viking on top. For one, I would say dinner was better. There were more choices. On our previous cruise, chicken was never an option and it is something that we normally eat a lot of at home. The desserts were better on the Heimdal and the chef who gave a preview of his dinner offerings every night was always so enthusiastic. The entire staff of the Heimdal was great. This continued with the guides on all the port excursions. The ship was large enough to accommodate people on the deck at all times, even for meals (unfortunately, the weather was so hot we never did dine there). One thing I especially have to rave about was our post excursion to Nice. We have done a few tours of various places in Europe and anytime we added an extension, we were on our own. Here we had an included tour and a couple of optional ones. The guide in charge of the extension (I believe his name was Bart, if memory serves me well) actually met us at the airport to insure an easy departure. This has NEVER happened before and was especially great because the computers in the terminal went down before we could check in. Bart spent time with each of the travelers in our group and waited with us until things were up and running again (over an hour later) and we went through security. We will definitely sail with Viking again. My husband doesn't even care what the destination is; he just finds it a very relaxing way to travel. It is and allows us to see the world in a less hectic way.

Relaxing and Exploring in France