3. Avalon Panorama
Three friends and I chose Avalon for our first-time river cruise because we had read wonderful reviews by others. We wanted a cruise that was educational, fun, appropriate for older travelers, and relaxing. Avalon's 15-day Magnificent Europe eastbound was all this and more. An included tour for each town we visited gave us an opportunity to explore areas we might have overlooked otherwise. Every local guide was informed, friendly, and helpful. Due to low water, we had to stay at a hotel in Amsterdam for the first two nights of our trip, but Avalon made sure we were in great accommodations with a terrific restaurant. We were compensated with a partial refund for those two nights even though the company had no control over the river levels. The extra time in Amsterdam gave us a chance to explore even more. I hope to travel with Avalon again. I cannot imagine a better cruise experience. I have only two regrets: 1. I wish I had taken this cruise years ago instead of waiting; and 2. I don't think I'll find ocean cruises as enchanting as I once did because a river cruise provides so much more of an educational and personal experience. Well done, Avalon.

Magnificent Europe was truly magnificent

Way2Happy’s Full Rating Summary
Get Avalon Panorama price drops

Panorama Suite with French Balcony
Cabin B 225
The cabin design features a full-length panorama sliding door that can be opened to create a balcony experience without the loss of any room in the cabin. Because the beds face the windows, we could relax and watch the scenery. The mirrored wall on one side of the cabin added light and a feeling of roominess. These cabins are the best I've ever had on any other cruise ship. The bathroom is well-arranged and larger than other cruise ship bathrooms I've had.
Sapphire Deck Suite Cabins

• Canal Tour
    The canal cruise provided a view of many areas we might not have seen otherwise. The guide was so informed and so personable. I strongly recommend this tour.
    View All 271 Canal Tour Reviews
  • Diamond Factory
    This tour educated us on the intricacies of diamond grinding and shaping. We had a chance to compare diamonds of different qualities. In addition, the factory has a small museum area and several shops.
    View All 16 Diamond Factory Reviews
  • Zaanse Schans Windmills
    What a fascinating morning we spent learning about windmills and the small town during the Zaanse Schans tour.
    View All 53 Zaanse Schans Windmills Reviews
  • Cologne Cathedral
    No trip to Cologne could be complete without a visit to the magnificent cathedral. Stepping inside the cathedral, I was immediately awed by its size and its beauty. It was very emotional to sit and listen to a traveling church choir who happened to be performing on the day we visited. After the choir finished, the stillness and history of the cathedral left me feeling a closeness to worshippers from centuries past. Truly an overwhelming experience.
    View All 149 Cologne Cathedral Reviews
  • Walking Tour
    The highlight of this tour was learning about Cologne's history.
    View All 130 Walking Tour Reviews