3. Carnival Ecstasy
I had an 86th birthday during this cruise I took solo. Although I met many other people, older folks have more difficulty enjoying the entertainment currently offered and finding companionship. For my birthday, Guest Services recognized it with Champagne, box of candy, a note, spa gift, and waiters singing at my dinner table. I took the 8 day cruise to the Caribbean on 9/8 so there would not be so many ankle biters aboard as they should have been in school. Each port had other ships and the streets were full of people. I took no excursions, didn't drink, enjoyed the Serenity Deck at aft of the ship and took a nap each afternoon after a good lunch and got to bed by 9:30 each night. The highlight of each day was dinner, 6:00 PM with table of 10 who were a delightful group. The Carnival Survey that I received upon return took almost an hour to fill out. Among the negatives which was the only part I saved, I wrote: My car was parked on the tarmac. I had paid parking at $20/day. On a previous cruise it was parked inside a building and I thought it would be this trip. Due to the heat initially with windows left partially down, the hurricane and anticipated storm surge, I worried about the car a lot. I purchased the Value Plan for WiFi, internet, and mail. It would not work. Guest Services worked with my computer and iPhone twice and even raised my plan to Premium but it still would not work so I did get a refund of the $80 charge. The Carnival Hub app worked well. My Sign and Sail card would not open my stateroom door and I had to get areplacement card which involved a very long line still carrying my lighter suitcase. The display case for the plaques awarded the ship were sitting on top of the American Flag using it as a mat. I did get one of their officers to correct that and show more respect for our flag. In filling the lavatory in my bathroom with water, the water was quite dark. They need to find the source of the discoloration and correct it. The hot water was more muddy than the cool. I initially sprayed my entire cabin with Lysol and took great care to use the germ killer drops outside the restaurants. However, by the evening of the 15th my throat started burning and turned white. The "bug" later caused excessive nose running and is still in my chest although I went to my doctor upon return and am taking two strong medicines. The wind from my cabin's air input vent was far too strong and blowing in my face the first night. I then got my Steward to turn it down but it was shut off completely so the next day I had to get it corrected again. We finally got it adjusted. My muster station was on deck 9 and my cabin on deck 4. In case of an emergency we were not to use the elevators. At age 86 I don't think I could run up five flights of stairs to my muster station. The initial Veteran's meeting to encourage discourse between Vets, upon entering we were asked how many in our party. I said one and was seated at a table by myself. I saw several other tables of one. I complained about it, that it did not encourage discussion and it was corrected the second day. Another Vet and I stood up the second day, introduced ourselves to the group of about 50-75 Vets, and talked a little about our experiences. I mentioned the 16 members of our Fighter Squadrons off Korea that we lost 66 years ago. Others talked of their losses. While waiting to debark and planning to roll my own bags to my car, the instructions said to wait in my cabin until my deck was displayed on TV and deck 4 would have been last. The anticipated time for my use of the elevator was later than the time we were required to get out of our cabins so what were we supposed to do? Stand in line for up to 30 minutes? Go to a higher deck and try to get on one of the forward elevators? I did the latter and did get off the ship prior to my scheduled time of about 8:30 or when the forward elevators became available. I sailed with Carnival many years ago but they lost the records of when I sailed and I could not remember the details so I didn't receive credit for previous sailings. There was something loose outside Cabin R-119 that periodically banged somewhere around the windows disturbing sleep. Also, the windows need to be taken apart and cleaned as the inside of the double panes are dirty. When you first embark, they need more attendants at Guest Services as passengers have many problems at that time and the line becomes excessive. At one port, the ship and crew had muster drills with the ship's emergency whistles blowing. I did not see or hear any announcement about this and was wondering if it was a real emergency - however, due to being hard of hearing I may have missed it. I have never seen a crew that worked as hard as on this ship. At every station, none just sat. They were polishing, cleaning, or working everywhere all the time and were always friendly. The Captain did a fine job preventing pitching and tossing and rolling of the ship. However, when he spoke, he could not speak English well but the Cruise Director always repeated his statements over the speakers. I hope this helps. The ship has an outstanding crew and they are doing their best to make the ship and cruise enjoyable. I would sail again on the Ecstasy but never solo again. Too difficult to find companionship. Thanks for letting me make these critiques.

Hard working crew. Ship is fine. Food good. Highlight was dinner each night

Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by CaptEZ2Like

Thanks for letting me make these critiques.
CaptEZ2Like’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Ecstasy price drops

Ocean View
Cabin 6B R-119
Ample space for one passenger. Good Steward. Discolored water. Air blower not adjustable. Noise around window that banged
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins