3. Viking Orion
We have done four riverboat cruises with Viking and I liked the look of the Orion, fancied a Mediterranean cruise, so decided to try it. The first day, we flew from our nearest airport, Leeds/Bradford, but had to change at Schiphol. After a long day, we arrived at the Orion after 6pm, the first of the “8 day cruise”. The boat was absolutely lovely and I have nothing but praise for the staff, our vegetarian food, our accommodation on board. The entertainment, in a splendid theatre, was a disappointment. Very nice though all the staff were, we were not expecting them to be the usual stage acts. The last night, they brought in a flamenco group and that was the best, though only lasted about an hour. As the boat is smaller than most cruises offer (which was great) there was less to keep us entertained on an evening, so I think a little more could be offered, though perhaps Viking see themselves as a little too upmarket. The inclusive trips to, for example, Pisa’s leaning tower were enjoyable, but we didn’t go on any non-inclusive tours because we wanted to enjoy the boat. The two swimming pools were small, as expected, but there was usually room for a swim and I loved the infinity pool. Move to the seventh day and we could not use our balconies all day because they were being washed down ready for the next paying guests. Day eight dawned, but we were already up, breakfasted, and on our way to Barcelona airport for a four hour wait for our plane to Schiphol. We then had a further three hour wait at Schiphol for our plane home, by which time we felt like we needed a holiday. I have taken this up with Viking as we could have had direct flights to Rome from Leeds/Bradford and direct return flights from Barcelona, but they insist on using KLM. I also think it is wrong to call it an eight day cruise when we had about six and a half days on board. The holiday was expensive but perhaps understandable due to the luxurious nature of the Orion. There was a library but also plenty of other books at various places on board. The choice was extensive and we found several to keep us interested during the cruise. So, although the Orion and the staff on board could not be faulted, because of Viking’s insistence that we fly KLM, we will not be sailing with Viking again.

Wonderful cruise ship, but....

Viking Orion Cruise Review by Skyebaby

Skyebaby’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Orion price drops

The “stateroom” was well-equipped, spacious and brand new.
The furniture and fitting were of a very high quality and the bed very comfortable.
All rooms have private balconies.

• City Tour
    Surprised just how nice Marseille is. I had heard it was dirty and run down, but maybe things have improved. The bus driver gave us a really good tour so we saw all along the coast.
    View All 61 City Tour Reviews
  • Monte Carlo Walking Tour
    Pleasantly surprised by Monaco, though it was sooooo busy. Very little room to wander, but the tour guide was good and informative.
    View All 50 Monte Carlo Walking Tour Reviews
  • Port Grimaud
    I liked St. Tropez and was able to practise my school French! Port Grimaldi was nice and I found a nice shaded park.....with seats.
    View All 9 Port Grimaud Reviews