Viking Orion Cruise Review

Better than I expected for my first cruise

Viking Orion Cruise Review by Ladydahdah

• Sail Date: Jul 2018
  • Destination: the Mediterranean

This was my very first cruise experience. And While I thoroughly enjoyed the quality of the food, the service, the amenities, the decor, I had a difficult time understanding why the entertainment was so lacking. Starting with the complimentary tours-some of the guides were quite lackluster and not attentive to the group in terms of their need to maybe slow down or knowing whether or not everyone is keeping up. I don’t know that I was aware of any resource (besides Guest Services or booking an excursion) that I could utilize to locate points of interest at each of the ports. When I did approach guest services regarding things to do in a given port, all the person did was Google it. They didn’t seem to have any information readily available to relay. To me, it’s important to talk to people who have been to these ports, who have had experiences there, who have genuine recommendations for where to go. My favorite part was the bartenders and most of the wait staff at the bars. We found ourselves at the bar quite a lot because there wasn’t much else available in the evening that we enjoyed. The singers were doing their jobs but were rather cheesy. We found ourselves some nights just making the best of it. Having to shrug it off, laugh about it, then just try to enjoy it. I appreciated greatly the efforts to keep things and people clean and sanitized. Embarkation and disembarkation were always smooth and never any lines like I’d heard happens with other cruise lines. There were a few people who really stood out for us in terms of service. Zoran, Boban, Nicola, Martin, Vadim, Stefanjia. They were always smiling and happy to see us. Remembering our names, room numbers, what we liked to drink but they went over and above and we felt like we were their friends and they were welcoming us into their home. These people were more memorable to us than the ports we visited.

Ladydahdah's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Junior penthouse suite 7006

The cabin was amazing! The size, the decor, the amenities. My only disappointment was that the sofa did not convert to a bed. Most junior suites in any hotel have that.

Barcelona

I didn’t spend much time in Barcelona but I will definitely go back

Sete

Scenery was ok. Tour guide unattentive. We broke off from the group at some point and ventured into town

Marseille

Free tour on the shuttle. Then also took the tram to the top of the hill to the cathedral. Amazing views. Glad we did it.

Boring tour guide. Didn’t wait for his group. Tour was $99 per person and we left the group as we didn’t feel we were getting anything out of the tour and apparently the “tasting” was a free crepe at the end of the tour. We decided to break if and walk around st tropez on our own. Beautiful place!

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Walking Tour

Free walking tour. Tour guide was great. The only one we liked the entire trip. Though I’d been to this destination before, I rather enjoyed the route of this walking tour.

View All 16 Walking Tour Reviews
Florence (Livorno)

I really enjoyed Livorno, the shops, the marketplace, the food.

Ladydahdah