Star Princess Cruise Review

Star Princess Cruise Review by lee.harrison

• Sail Date: Jul 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

This was a tour cruise which started in Anchorage, moved to McKinley Lodge, then to Denali Lodge, then back to Whittier by train to board the Star Princess. We booked all land and at sea excursions through Princess and paid for them months before the trip. Our first land excursion, scheduled for 9:15 am July 24 with Rust's Flightseeing Tours, was canceled by them shortly before our scheduled pickup time. We were assured a refund by the Princess agent in the Capt Cook Hotel. Promised refund has never materialized. (I'm writing this in mid-September.) I've repeatedly tried contacting Princess about this I'm told the "cruise" line doesn't handle the "land" tours--and there's not phone number for land tours. I've sent three emails to customer relations.

The rest of the excursions, both land and from the ship, were excellent. The cruise itself was great, though we didn't see any whales or other wildlife. The glaciers were amazing; the naturalist on board was very informative. The ship and our cabins were clean and comfortable. Most of the staff were friendly and helpful. Our other unfortunate experience was with specialty dining at the steak restaurant. We were kept waiting hours past our reservation and then seated at a squeezed in table. This was shocking, since everything else on the ship ran on time or a little early! I suggest skipping specialty dining.

To be fair, the overall trip was wonderful, but not being able to speak to a human about the canceled excursion is expensive and beyond frustrating; it will keep me off Princess in the future.

lee.harrison's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin B2 C-604

Cabin was spacious and comfortable. We had friends on either side of us so we had the doors between the balconies unlocked and we used that area for viewing the incredible sights.

Anchorage

This was a fun tour of Anchorage with tons of fascinating history and tidbits only a local would know.

Skagway

Loved learning about the Klondike and opening of the gold mining area. Fascinating and fun thanks to a local guide.

Juneau

Worth doing. We had beautiful weather which made it extra nice.

Juneau

Fun view of Juneau. We had lunch at top of mountain.

Misty Fjords Flightseeing

This was a spectacular tour on a float plane. We landed at an old lodge and had a crab feast which was incredible. It was worth every penny.

View All 166 Misty Fjords Flightseeing Reviews
Trolley Tour

We happened to be there the busiest day of the year, so the traffic was insane. Our trolley had a crash! We finally got off the trolley, walked to a hotel and got a cab to the old historic district where we had a great lunch and did some fun touring by foot and saw the steam clock.

View All 24 Trolley Tour Reviews

Refund update: Right after I submitted the above review, a sales person from Princess called to try and sell me another cruise. I mentioned the refund problem and that I was frustrated I couldn't talk to a human about situation. She followed up on problem, I talked to a human, twice, and about 10 days later (Sept 28) we received refund for trip canceled July 24. But...if that sales person hadn't called, we'd still be out the money.

lee.harrison