3. Norwegian Escape
We had the unfortunate vacation of our lives while going on a Norwegian Cruise on September 9 from New York City. First, this cruise ship, Norwegian Escape is supposed to be one of the newest and best ships in their line-up. I want to tell you that this is the WORST ship that I have ever cruised on and this was my 12th cruise vacation. Here are just some of the problems that I have with this ship. • Whoever designed this ship should be fired! Its extremely large Casino spans the entire atrium area causing second-hand smoke to billow throughout the Deck 6, 7 and 8 atrium areas and beyond. We are both extremely sensitive to smoke and so it made it nearly impossible to stay in these areas of the ship. Smoke was also a problem for us on our balcony, which smelled of cigarette smoke so badly that we couldn’t use the balcony. I thought that smoking on the Balconies was prohibited but apparently this is not monitored or enforced on your ship. Doesn’t Norwegian Cruise Lines know about the hazard of second-hand smoke and the rate of cancer caused by it? At a minimum, smokers should be in a contained space away from non-smoking passengers. Also, there is no large, expansive area similar to Royal Caribbean ships that have a large “Main Street” in which many passengers can enjoy a smoke free environment. • The Atrium was a very small space that was always too small for the crowd of people that wanted to attend any of the games or shows scheduled there. Standing Room Only was an understatement. You should have scheduled many of these attractions in the Theater rather than the Atrium. This was also exacerbated by the afore mentioned smell of cigarette smoke. • The on-board communications was extremely poor! When the Captain made the itinerary change to skip the Bahamas, he didn’t say what we were going to do or where we were actually going instead. No information was a huge problem. In addition, the so-called cruise Director was rarely heard over the ship intercom telling us about things happening on the ship. This was the worst communications we had ever experienced and this was our 12th cruise. Our Cabin Stewart never even introduced himself or herself to us at any time during the cruise. The first few days it seemed like a woman was our Stewart and then a man was the Stewart. We never knew who was responsible for our room. Further, we had several meals where the wait staff forgot to bring items that we ordered or took a very long time to bring our meals. We often waited 20-30 minutes without any contact from the wait staff, which I feel, is unacceptable. Another comment on the staffs’ lack of communication is that we received refunds that were listed as “Refundable Credit” without any explanation. We had to go to the Guest Services desk to find out that the charges were being reimbursed for not going to the Bermuda port. I know other people had the same issue as they also went to the Guest Services desk. • This was an American cruise and I am sure that most of the passengers were from the U.S. On Saturday, most passengers wanted to watch and were expecting to see American College Football on TV. I was very unhappy that it didn’t appear that any games would be televised after several straight sea days. I went to Guest Services and was told that Norwegian contracts through a 3rd party for TV, and that they didn’t offer any football games on Saturday. Instead, we were allowed to watch European Soccer games that we could care less about. Americans hardly play soccer let alone watch it on TV. Are you joking?? Many, many passengers wore college games jerseys or team t-shirts on Saturday and as I talked with several other, we were disgusted that you didn’t offer College Football on TV. What bullshit! You should hire another carrier that shows College and Professional Football for cruises originating and ending in the U.S. This was a very poor decision on your company’s part. This should be rectified immediately. • Apparently, this ship only caters to passengers in the Haven (Ultrahigh Priced) areas. Otherwise, there was no adults’ only area with indoor pool and seating areas where adults can enjoy some quiet time in an air-conditioned pool area. This is terrible customer service. • The lunch menus never changed at the “Taste” and “Savor” restaurants? This was not at all acceptable. What was the issue with not preparing different menus at these complimentary restaurants? Again, many guests expressed the same issue to us during the cruise. This forced many of us to the buffet that we really don’t like to do. • Our cabin was on the 15th Floor in a so-called “mini suite.” After the first two days there were loud banging noises in our ceiling and in our walls that made it difficult to sleep. I can’t imagine what the noises were but someone should check it out in case something is loose somewhere. In conclusion, our trip was ruined by this Company and by this poorly designed and not at all passenger friendly ship as detailed above. This Company certainly broke my trust in Norwegian Cruise Lines, and I will be complaining to whomever will listen about your poor performance and advise people to not book a cruise with Norwegian.

Do Not Book A Norwegian Cruise - They are the Worst Cruise Company Ever

wpog’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Escape price drops

Mid-ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MB 15778
The cabin was pretty average but the shower was excellent. The only good part of the room.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins