3. Norwegian Pearl
We sailed from Seattle, our home location. Embarkation went well and disembarkation was super quick as we were allowed to carry our own bags off the ship within an hour of docking, keeping them with us over night. Our car was parked in the Republic garage right next to the ship requiring no transfer, just a short elevator ride and walk on. We liked the itinerary. The exception was the evening stop in Victoria, 6:00pm to midnight? Not too interested in exploring after dark. The cruise ship dock was right next to a big warehouse building or museum, we couldn't really tell from our stateroom. When we opened the balcony door we were hit with the foul stench of dead seagulls and manure from the roof of the building net to the ship. The smell lingered in our stateroom until the ship sailed. Horrible. If you can, get a balcony room on the starboard side of the ship to minimize this issue maybe. The cabin steward Judy, was excellent. We never wanted for anything. The cabin was a mid-ship balcony and I would choose that again. The food was good overall. Not spectacular as we experienced years ago on the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder. Sometimes the buffet food was not hot when we got to our table. Seating was in short supply in the Garden Cafe at busy times. Once we were escorted to another eating venue to be able to sit at a table. It was handled well by the staff, so no big deal. Entertainment was excellent. The singer/storyteller Steve Hites who boarded in Skagway to entertain during that stop was great. Don't miss him. Interesting Alaska history in song and story's told at a brisk pace. The Elvis tribute artist was the best I have heard. Wowser, what a show!! Nicole Ward is a fantastic singer and I could listen to her some more. The comedy of Tim___________ was good but you have to like that Don Rickles lite style I guess.. The magic show was ho hum. About what I expected. The vantriloquist was good. Under-appreciated on board I fear. Shore excursions were enjoyable. We took the Mendenhall Glacier Explorer in Juneau, a good value, as well as the hilarious Skagway antique bus tour with Alex. She was a hoot. NCL tries too hard to sell at every turn. I got tired of that. Most "activities" listed to attend at sea seemed to lead you to consider buying something. The wholesale promotion of all the jewelry and watches was also too much. The same companies who own every store in every port selling the same stuff ( jewelry and watches) seem to have a place on the ship as well. Way too much.... If you want to visit the gift shops in Juneau or one of the other ports, you've seen about the same things sold in Skagway and Ketchikan. There are specialty shops in every port which are different, but enough T-shirt emporia. There didn't seem to be any "quality" clothing stores in the port towns with Alaskan Native themed art in an embriodered long sleeve collared shirt as an example. Lots of high end art is available however.

Great overall cruise

Back to Ak’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Pearl price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 9556
Always kept clean and supplied with what we needed. Our steward Judy was very good at knowing when to make up our room without being noticed. She seemed to work very hard to make sure all was just right. Judy made our vacation on the Pearl a delight. If we sail on NCL again we would fortunate to have another room steward like Judy.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins