3. Carnival Paradise
Selected this cruise because of a group of family and friends were going; 18 people in total. I had been on the Carnival Pride in Jan 2017 and was not impressed but since so many people were going I decided to give it another try. I also cruised in Jan 2018 on the NCL Epic and my experience was the complete opposite of my Carnival experience; I loved it! The thing I noticed immediately upon boarding is how dated and tired the ship looked. It was supposed to have had a multi-million dollar refit a few months before but I did not see where they spent anywhere near that amount of money. Things noticed: 1. Carpet on interior stairs with the treads exposed that tripped many people on the stairs. 2. Metal ceiling in dining areas dented and dirty; many full of dirt and dust. 3. Stains on carpet in main walkways. 4. Incorrectly functioning elevators that would not move half the time you got on them. 5. Woodwork and railings that were gashed and gouged and instead of being repaired or replaced; were just given a fresh coat of thick paint that looked bad. Things I enjoyed: 1. The crowd and energy was amazing and the crew did a good job at getting them involved. 2. The entertainment was terrific; especially this guitar player Dariel that performed. He was excellent and my favorite part of the cruise. 3. The embarkation with the "Fast to the Fun" package was the fasted I have experienced. 4. Most bartenders were great; some average; one was downright rude. Some of the larger disappointments were: 1. Immediately upon boarding I noticed my oceanview cabin was very hot. I turned the ceiling control on the vent to max cold. Several hours later it still had not cooled off an was very hot and stuffy. Our cabin steward (who was great) even commented on how hot it was and to go talk to guest services. I had to leave the door to the cabin open to get some cool air from the hallway. I went to check out the cabins of several others in my party and all of their cabins were much cooler; as well as the hallway. After several hours of this I went to guest services to explain the situation. I was told the ship had just gotten underway and the air conditioning had just been turned on and it would take a few hours to cool down the cabin. I asked why the hallway and other cabins were so cool if that was the case and was told they could not answer that and to wait and few hours; check it again and come back if there was an issue still. Several hours later after dinner and the cabin was still as hot as it was upon boarding. I called guest services on the phone and informed them and asked them to come fix it while I was out for the evening. I come back to the cabin a couple of hours later to find the air still not fixed and a small circular fan sitting on the counter plugged in and running; aimed at the bed. All the fan was doing was blowing the hot air around. At this point I was really upset and went down to guest services to have them send a tech to fix the air. They sent someone while I was in the room that offered to take the vent cap and adjustment off altogether to try to increase flow to the cabin. I accepted and said would try it for the night. With the vent cap off and the fan running it was still to warm to sleep and ended up sweating all night. The next morning I complained to guest services again. I get a letter under my door that stated they tried to contact me about the cooling issue and had been unable to get a hold of me and asked me to come to guest services. I did again and stated it was still hot. Again there was no resolution. That night in the middle of the night the air broke all together. It was sweltering as there was no air flow at all. I again went down to guest services and complained. I was then told there was an outage that affected my cabin and they were making emergency repairs and it should be fixed in an hour. I said it had been an issue since I got on board. They said they would "do something" to make it up to me and to come back later. At no point did they offer to switch me to a different cabin. Later in the day I had a letter under the door asking me to again come to guest services. They offered me a dining room "steak selection upgrade" and a bottle of wine for the trouble. I stated the air still wasn't fixed and was told that is what they could do. I ended up giving the wine away since I don't drink it and the steak wasn't that great. I ended up not sleeping most of the cruise due to the cabin being so hot. Very poor customer service experience. 2. The debarkation process was terrible. I had purchased the "Faster to the Fun" package which entitles you to priority embarkation, tenders, customer service and debarkation. Since I had that package I had a letter under my door with instructions on what to do if you were taking you luggage off of the ship yourself. It stated to take you luggage to deck 9 lounge at the very back of the ship and wait for the ship to be cleared. My friend and I lugged 5 bags up 2 decks and all the way across the ship to the lounge. We were there 10 min when we were told to collect our bags and follow the staff. In this long line, we had to carry the 5 bags down 4 flights of stairs (no elevators) and all the way back across the ship. We actually passed our cabin on the trek back to disembark. So much for Priority service. That alone was enough to say "never again" to Carnival. 3. The food was average. The breakfast and lunch offerings were not impressive and there were not enough buffet lines to handle the crowd. Long wait times were common for food. There were staff portioning out the bacon and ham so if you wanted more than two slices; you would have to wait in the line again. The dinners in the dining room were good except for the BBQ Ribs that were terrible and I got a very under-cooked fillet. 4. The ship has one small swimming pool for almost two-thousand people. It was hot out and there was just no room in the pool which was wall-to-wall people. After a sub-par experience on the Carnival Pride and and even worse one on the Paradise; I will be sticking with NCL from now on for the simple fact that Carnival does not know what customer service is. My opinion is to pay a bit more and have a much better experience on another line.

Great Crowd & Entertainment; Dated Ship & Bad Customer Service + Bacon Police

Carnival Paradise Cruise Review by audiohead1

Things noticed:

2. Metal ceiling in dining areas dented and dirty; many full of dirt and dust.

3. Stains on carpet in main walkways.

Things I enjoyed:

4. Most bartenders were great; some average; one was downright rude.

Some of the larger disappointments were:

audiohead1’s Full Rating Summary