3. Paul Gauguin
Before going on our cruise, I spent countless hours reading reviews - mostly from cruisecritic - and they were so incredibly helpful that I feel like I have to now return the favor as some of the advice I read was outdated and I picked up a few tips of my own. This is a long review so feel free to skip it if you don't like novels. BOARDING THE SHIP We were on the dock at 3PM and there were only about 20 people waiting with us. Onboarding was very quick and very easy. We immediately went to the travel concierge desk to pick up our tickets for the excursions each day. You can also go to the marina after the safety drill to pick up your snorkeling gear that you will use and keep throughout the cruise. We did not have to give up our passports, only showed them upon check in. DINNER RESERVATIONS Once onboard, you can immediately make reservations for any of the two reservation-only restaurants at either one. We went to Veranda for lunch when boarding at 3PM and made our reservations for dinner at Veranda and dinner at Le Grille. You will receive priority when booking each restaurant for the first time, and then reservations are subject to other cruisers who have not been to dinner. We had trouble getting another reservation but on the last night we went to the Grille for breakfast and they were able to fit us in for that night. One thing I didn't realize is the restaurant where you don't need a reservation - L'Etoile - is a sit down very nice restaurant as well. I assumed it was something lessor but we thought it was very good and the menu changes daily whereas at Le Grille and Veranda, the menu stays the same so you really only need one reservation at each to get a taste. They told us on the last day that if you really want to eat somewhere and don't have a reservation, you can head there around 7PM and see if any of the 6:30PM reservations didn't show up - it's worth a shot. IN THE ROOM In the room, you will find full size shampoo/conditioner that I felt was very adequate and you do not need to bring your own. There is a mini fridge with sodas, waters and beer. There is a hair dryer. Each day, they will set out two new yellow beach towels for your use. There are american outlets and french polynesia outlets if you don't have a converter. There is plenty of storage, as many have said. ROOM TV The in-room TV does a lot things. You can see excursions at each port and book them. You can order room service. And you can request things like more hangers. There is also a great selection of movies and we were able to watch the news. Yes, we should be out more, but we enjoyed having some downtime in the room and being able to watch a movie and hang out was a nice perk. The room service portions are small - order more rather than less. LAUNDRY SERVICE We paid for the laundry service which we enjoyed having. In the room, is your laundry bag as well as a sheet detailing which items you are having laundered. You have to fill out a new sheet, place in the laundry bag and put on your door each morning and it will be back to you by the afternoon. The middle section "Laundry & Pressing" is what you will fill out if you have a laundry package (which does not include eco friendly cleaning). EXCURSIONS We did one excursion a day. I was torn on doing morning or afternoon excursions so did a few of each, but we preferred mornings. I would sign up online for the excursions ASAP as they do fill up. Our first port was Huahine and there is not much to do on this island so I would think you would definitely want to do an excursion here unless you spend the first day hanging out on the boat. We know a few couples who did several excursions a day or only did a few total. For us, one a day was about right. The highlight tour for us was in Bora Bora - the Lagoon Excursion at Maohi Nui. Other good tours: E-Bike to Belvedere in Moorea and the Underwater Walk in Bora Bora if only for the fun photos. BALCONY We were lucky enough to get a balcony and we really enjoyed hanging out on the balcony in the mornings or when the boat was moving. I could see the argument for not needing one, but if you can afford it, I would do it again, although it doesn't make or break your experience. ENTERTAINMENT All of the shows were at 9:30PM or 10:00PM and frankly, we could not stay awake for them. We were pretty sleepy by 8 and usually in bed by 9. We did stay up for the last show on the last night back in Tahiti and it was excellent - it was a professional troupe. We also did go to the Crew Show which was adorable and well done. DEMOGRAPHICS We are 31 and were on our honeymoon. There were several other (maybe 5 or 6) younger couples around our age. The majority of cruisers were in their 40's and 50's and there were also many couples 50+. We never felt too young or weird on the ship - we met lots of great folks and enjoyed spending time with them no matter the age. The majority of cruisers were great people who were avid travelers and many of them had been on the PG before. There were a few snotty 50-something that were rude to staff and ungrateful but they were few and far between. STAFF The staff was exceptional and they were always smiling, always friendly, and always accommodating. We loved all of them and enjoyed seeing them each day. Overall, this was a great cruise and we had an amazing time and met some great people. I don't know that we would do the cruise again but only because we would love to take a different cruise as this was our first one so we'd like to check out other places - there are too many places to visit!

Excellent Cruise!

DEMOGRAPHICS

STAFF

Mando0155’s Full Rating Summary
Get Paul Gauguin price drops

We loved our cabin! It was very adequate for our needs and has ample space and storage for our things.
  Paul Gauguin Deck Plans