Norwegian Bliss Cruise Review

Norwegian Bliss Cruise Review by WandaLeeBee

• Sail Date: Sep 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

I selected this cruise because I have always wanted to see Alaska. I have several friends who have made this journey and they all said that they trip was amazing. I have to agree and I must say that Norwegian played a large part in that!

Now, that is not to say that we didn't have some hiccups...but they were all in the registration process. There were mix-ups with some of the extra packages we purchased. The first occurred when my roommate paid for her excursions and somehow my excursions, which I had already paid for, "disappeared" from my trip summary. My roommate made one phone call, spoke with an extremely apologetic and helpful Norwegian representative, and my excursions immediately reappeared on my trip summary. Our other experience was not so simple, when one of our party was informed that her thermal suite package cancelled after she had paid for it in full in July (and had the e-mail confirmation to prove it). She was also told that due to the fact that the number of people who can use the suite is limited, she could not just have her package reinstated. Correcting this situation required both my friend and our our travel agent to spend SEVERAL hours each on the phone. They both spoke with Norwegian representatives who were not only not helpful but seemed overtly hostile. However, when it was finally settled, the package was reinstated and Norwegian had two bottles of wine and a $50 onboard credit waiting for her when she arrived onboard.

These experiences just before our cruise had my whole party slightly skeptical about Norwegian. However, our experience onboard was simply wonderful. The ship was brand new, shiny and beautiful. The embarkation process was the quickest and smoothest I've ever experienced with any cruise line. And the cabins were the most spacious of any cruise line I've ever cruised with before, with tons of room for storage and, bless 'em, a nice-sized bathroom.

The shows we saw were fabulous, especially Havana! The sets, the costumes, the performances...EVERYTHING!!! Mary Gutzi in the lead was AH-MAZ-ING!!! The dancers, especially a young man named Edson, were so talented! Their rope number was absolutely mesmerizing! This production was just as good as anything I've seen on Broadway.

Our excursions were also wonderful. We went whale-watching in Juneau and were fortunate enough to not only see sea lions and whales but we actually saw one humpback breach the water! My friends and I actually got both photos and videos of it. We were so excited!!! But we probably loved our train ride in Skagway--the views of the White Pass were just breathtaking. And our final excursion was a horse-drawn trolley ride in Victoria...it was quaint, relaxing and informative, all at the same time. Now, we were blessed with unseasonably nice weather for our entire trip so that made it extra special. The only time we even needed jackets was on our whale-watching excursion and we only got a slight drizzle on rain for a couple of hours in Victoria but then it cleared up and the rest of the evening was beautiful.

I NEVER book a balcony room but for this trip I was told it was a must and I have to say I'm so glad I did, especially when we cruised Sawyer Glacier and saw the blue ice! We saw whales from our balconies, as well as glaciers (too many to count) and numerous smaller iceburgs.

The food on-board was excellent and there was a variety to choose from. The wait staff in the restaurants were gracious and accommodating. I enjoyed the Starbucks and the gelato shop, too!

Our cabin steward, Ray, was one-in-a-million. If you spoke his name, he appeared as if by magic. My friends provided him with decorations and he had my cabin decorated as a surprise for my birthday after we returned from dinner. He was just so sweet and also unobtrusive.

Although we had some hitches pre-cruise, the trip itself more than made up for it. I would definitely cruise with Norwegian again.

WandaLeeBee's Full Rating Summary

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BD 12812

The cabin was spacious and clean, the beds were amazing and the balcony was such a wonderful addition to our trip! I spent lots of time there in the morning drinking my coffee and in the evening watching the sun set. There was plenty of storage space, even for my friends who had 3 guests in their cabin.

Seattle

We visited Pike's Place Market, the Space Needle and the Chihuly Museum. Loved ALL of them! Breakfast at Lowell's in the Market was amazing! The fishmongers were fun and the flowers were beautiful.

Whale Watching

We saw several whales and were even lucky enough to see one breach! I wish we had been a little closer--it seemed like the other excursion boats went in closer than ours.

View All 906 Whale Watching Reviews
White Pass Scenic Railway

This was my favorite excursion! The scenery was just beautiful and our narrator was extremely entertaining!!!

View All 1212 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews
Horse-Drawn Carriage Tour

Our driver was sweet and amazing, the horses were awesome, the views were phenomenal, the food at Fisherman's Wharf was amazing and the people were very friendly.

View All 32 Horse-Drawn Carriage Tour Reviews