Viking Sun Cruise Review

Somewhat dissatisfied in the UK

Viking Sun Cruise Review by cemcgeehon

• Sail Date: Aug 2018
  • Destination: the British Isles & Western Europe

I wanted to see my homeland of Scotland and Ireland. With the highlight of the trip being two days in London. We pre-toured in Oslo with a train ride to Bergin, fantastic. We finished the cruise with three days in Edenborough, again a fantastic stay.

The tours from the ship were not of the caliper of previous voyages with Viking. We were driven by museums and castles, and told that if we had more time we could go in. For a few dollars more tickets to castles and museums could have been purchased and that cost past on to the consumer (me) as part of the cost of the cruise.

The crew was fantastic, I am amazed that they can remember the names of all the customers. On our first night in the Restaurant, out server introduced herself and then responded that she had met us before. She was correct, she was working on our previous cruise.

To myself and other guests that I spoke to, a big disappointment was planning on two days in London. We were hoping to see the sights and felt cheated that London (Greenwich) was only a convenient Disembarkation / Embarkation point that the customer only had a few hours to visit. Embarkation left a lot to be desired, too many buses going to the airport for the transition to Edinburgh, and to many flights to the next destination. The Viking Travel people did not include a baggage allowance for the flight, we and other customers had to pay the fee out of pocket.

Recommendation:

Make the ride to the airport a city tour, explain what we are seeing and take a roult that would allow the customers to at least see London if not able to experience London.

Instead of using the airlines, send the customer from London to Edinburgh by train, it would have been a 3 hour trip, we would have seen the country and Viking could have reserved an entire car.

The Viking Air people on this trip did not seam to be engaged in the product Viking was selling. Twice I had to contact them to issue tickets from London for the extention in Edenburgh.

I am looking forward to a river cruise in 2020, not sure if I will due another ocean cruise.

cemcgeehon's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Deluxe Veranda 3067

Very nice. On our prevous trip there was a bottle of champain in the refigerator, this trip the wasn't any, our steward did not know anything about previous offerings. We didn't drink the wine on the previous trip, nor would have on this trip, it was only a sign of Viking cutting costs.

Kirkwall

Scenic costal walk, excellent tour guide, lots of information and beautiful county

stopped ouside a castle, not allowed to enter.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
City Tour

excellent tour guide, lots of informaiton.

View All 17 City Tour Reviews

Taken out to a castle and had to pay out of pocket to enter, Viking is getting cheap.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
City Tour

not a lot of history of the town.

View All 44 City Tour Reviews
Dover

We went to the castle and toured the tunnels. Excellent day.

cemcgeehon