3. MSC Magnifica
Our second time on Magnifica this year-this time for 10 days-and we had an equally fabulous time! Entertainment was great and we loved the dancing each night. We were delighted that Kalid had been promoted since our last visit in May- this young Moroccan man is talented, great with customers and is going places! Hope to see him as a Cruise Director one day! The whole entertainment team work well together, are fun and get you joining in (but leave you if you really don’t want to!) We personally don’t like The Quest and another American style ‘crude’ entertainment but we just avoided lounge at that time. We liked the games where you guess the songs and all the dances such as Bongi Bongi sang and dance-led by the brilliant Duo Magic Sound. The food was fine and we always found something each night in the Quattro Vente restaurant even if this meant having three starters or two mains as choices! I even started with sweets if I fancied it! We were delighted with our allocated table for two, as if we needed to listen to others, the conversation on the next table was so loud we heard it all anyway! As we are both Black loyalty status, we had the chance for two free meals at speciality restaurant but we chose to go only once. It has always been near to empty whenever we saw it and this really needs looking at by MSC. It’s not working as Asian Restaurant. Why not make it into a specialty Italian restaurant or (not my fave choice as mostly veggie) a Steakhouse? The service wasn’t as good as last time. Odd as only two tables to cover in the near empty place and as its special I expected special service! It looks great but possibly a missed opportunity for something much better? We had the drinks package again and this is great value even as we don’t drink lots. We used it for bottles of water, specialty teas, coffees and juices too. MSC as listened to the feedback and there is now draught Guinness onboard covered by package! The spa was good again and the friendly receptionist recognised us and greeted us every day. We bought the couples massage and daily pass package again. Sometimes the area near jacuzzis was full or had towels on each of the 6 loungers. I enjoyed the few occasions I went and got the jacuzzi to myself which is why I bought the pass. Have you ever had a massage and thought ‘I don’t want this to stop’? I can’t believe that when we had our 30min Bali massage one woman tried to up-sell it by saying “we have a special offer and can continue for another 30minutes for and extra cost plus service charge as there ‘is an offer on’”. Talk about selling while someone’s half asleep! Luckily I came around enough in time to say “I’ll think about it for another time”. She looked disappointed when we decided not to book at the time but ‘go away and consider it’. I just wish they wouldn’t try to up-sell and let customers enjoy the experience and decide for themselves. There was improvement with the spa staff not obviously talking about customers as they left the exit of the spa. This time there were smiles and thanks given instead. Perhaps comments were noticed in last review? One awful bit was when we 1st got on our drinks package didn’t show up on the ship’s computer although I paid through travel agent at time of booking. The receptionist was adamant there was ‘a big red cross’ next to it on her computer and kept insisting I must have cancelled it and I had NOT paid for it. I knew this wasn’t true, and as we had left Southampton, I had no way of contacting my agent. I felt very upset! I showed her on my phone my confirmation but all of a sudden- with no apology she declared- the computer has now changed and ‘ I can see you have paid and it is now on the card’. Not a good start to the holiday but although it took me a while to calm myself and feel ok - I don’t know what I would have done if ‘computer had not said “yes!” I provide customer service in my workplace and this young woman needs extra training. Over all we had a fabulous time and I miss Ship Life! Magnifica is headed for a world tour next otherwise I am sure we would go on again soon! It did make us feel more impressed with MSC and make this company a strong contender to NCL which we used to use regularly before but now tend to be less value for money than MSC.

Second time this Year!

MSC Magnifica Cruise Review by Connie Tact

• Sail Date: August 2018
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Interior Stateroom – Fantastica

Have you ever had a massage and thought ‘I don’t want this to stop’?

Connie Tact’s Full Rating Summary
Get MSC Magnifica price drops

Interior Stateroom – Fantastica
Cabin I2 11074
Cabin- inside 11074 just behind lift was quiet and with a fantastic cabin steward
Cirilo Silva. Cirilo greeted us every time he spotted us and checked everything was ok with the cabin. Every time we asked for something he helped us.
There did seem to be a slight smell (musty bit like old cigarette smoke) so we were glad to use a scented room fragrancer we had bought during the first stop. Will take one every holiday now-just in case!
Portovenere Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins