3. Carnival Sunshine
We chose the Sunshine because a good friend, whom we met while cruising, recommended it. He and his wife enjoy the Sunshine because of the very large Serenity deck for adults only and the nice pool. They weren't kidding and we were just as pleased with the Serenity area as they were. The Sunshine boasts the best Serenity deck of any ship we've been on so far. It spans 3 tiers and includes a hot tub and a pool with a waterfall feature. There were always loungers available which is more than I can say for other ships with adult-only areas. The top deck does not offer a view of the Lido deck but it overlooks the ocean and the breeze up there is wonderful. We've been on ships both smaller and larger than the Sunshine. We also picked this ship because it included Curacao on the itinerary. We'd previously been to Aruba and Bonaire so this trip completed our visit to the ABC islands. Among the very helpful and friendly Sunshine staff, there were a few people who stood out to us. Although we didn't get to know him personally, we really enjoyed the Cruise Director, Mikey. I'm not sure where he gets all that energy but he was terrific. Everyone we spoke to had nothing but good things to say about him. The next crew member we'd like to recognize is our cabin steward, Jacqueline. She was on top of everything and even honored our request for a unique towel animal. (She created a giant penguin out of a blanket and towels.) She serviced the room twice a day as was our preference and took a few minutes out of her busy schedule to talk to us; always with a big smile on her face. I hope we get her again in the future because she was such a pleasant person. We'd also like to mention the awesome Piano Bar Entertainer; Adam Mitchell. We visited the piano bar every night except for Aruba night because that was his night off. Adam genuinely wanted to play what people wanted to hear. He even learned a song that I requested and played it not once but a few times over the course of the cruise! The room was packed every night by 9:15 - quite a feat seeing as it opens at 9. He has no trouble engaging a crowd and playing to the room. We started getting there at 8:45 to claim our seats! I appreciated the fact that he wasn't going overboard with the adult humor but rather maintained a good (and classy) balance. The bar staff for the piano bar is very attentive and always appeared to be happy. Ivan and Grace were the perfect duo for that venue. I'd often see Ivan making his rounds and singing along while Adam played piano. A little about the ports we visited... We stopped in Aruba, Curacao, and Grand Turk. We'd been to Aruba before so we were comfortable taking a taxi to the beach. The cabs and buses are plentiful in Aruba so it makes traversing the little island very easy and inexpensive. Our group of 6 opted to be dropped off at the pier on Palm Beach - a common drop-off and pick-up spot for tourists. We enjoyed a slightly windy, yet still sunny & beautiful day at the beach. Afterward, we rode back to the port, hopped on the ship to shower and get into regular clothes and then walked to the nearby shopping district. Shops close up early so we really only got to visit some of the outdoor vendors before heading back to the ship for dinner. I'm not exactly sure what people do when the ship is in port until 10:00pm because not much seemed to be open. I am guessing bars and restaurants would be but get your shopping done early because the stores were closed by 6pm. I'm sure there are evening excursions. We just hadn't wanted to miss dinner on the ship. We're usually pretty content with Carnival's dinner offerings. Our next port was Curacao. My in-laws had made friends with a local tour guide on their last visit so we had a personalized tour lined up. She and her niece met us at the port and took us all over the place. They spent the whole day with us, actually. We stopped at the famous Liquor Factory, where we were the first patrons of the day, and sampled Curacao liquors. Chocolate was my favorite! Afterward, we toured downtown where she pointed out landmarks. We decided that we'd like to stop at a beach for a couple hours so she took us to Mambo Beach. The beach area is very small but it's clean and there are facilities and shopping on the premises. There's a Starbucks there also. We ended our visit at Mambo Beach with frozen pumpkin-flavored drinks that were delicious and refreshing - and not overpriced. Toward the end of the day, we went to the shops and marketplace near the fort. We found a few fun souvenirs to take home. Our last stop was in Grand Turk. We knew ahead of time that we'd be parking ourselves at Jack's Shack as this has become a tradition for our family. The water was clear but there was a fair bit of seaweed this time. We took inner tubes with us and were able to float out past the seaweed where the bottom was pristine white sand. We were hoping to see Jack's dogs - Topher & Calypso - but were greeted by local island dogs who must have though Jack's Shack was a good place to be for the day because they stayed with us the whole day. Thankfully, they were not obnoxious when we got our lunch - Jack's Shack's famous jerk chicken. Topher and Calypso did make an appearance about halfway through our visit. We were happy to see them and got a chance to play in the water with Topher. He's such a ham. I know a lot of people go there just to see Topher & Calypso. After we'd had our fill of fun in the sun, we headed back and walked around the shops for a short time before getting back on board. There were so few negatives, they aren't even worth mentioning. Yes, the ship is a little worn but she's going into dry dock in 2 weeks and I'm sure she'll be amazing when she is a fixed up! She just needs a little paint and maybe some venues rearranged to better locations but there really wasn't much to complain about. All in all, it was a really good vacation.

Carnival Sunshine Sports a Spectacular Serenity Deck & Stellar Staff

wytyger1’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Sunshine price drops

Premium Vista Balcony
Cabin 9C 6346
Our cabin was nice and a little bigger than the usual aft cabin because we selected an aft vista balcony on deck 6. The balcony was enormous. There were 3 lounger chairs, several upright chairs, and a couple tables. We had plenty of room for family sunset photos. This is a quiet and well-insulated room. My only fuss about the room is that the bathroom door kept swinging into me when I was attempting to fix my hair or brush my teeth. That was easily remedied by putting something on the floor in front of it or lassoing the clothes line around one of the towel hooks on the back.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins