3. Norwegian Sky
We chose this cruise rather last-minute to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We had actually sailed the Sky to Alaska in 2001 and really loved that experience. In fact, the name of the ship inspired our daughter's name. When looking for something to celebrate our anniversary, I ran across this cruise out of Miami to Cuba. It fit our schedules and our budget, so we booked it! I had originally booked an aft balcony, but watched prices and about 12 days before sailing the aft penthouse dropped to a price I was willing to pay. It was a bit of a splurge, but really made our celebration special. We got lucky with weather, as we sailed during hurricane season. It was raining on embarkation, but cleared by sail away. Rain threatened for much of the cruise, but we never had more than a sprinkle until we arrived back to rain in Miami. Our room was amazing- we definitely would have had room for our two kids. We enjoyed the priority embarkation, disembarking at ports, and all the special attention from the concierge. We loved having access to Cagney's for breakfast and lunch- the wait staff were all amazing! A special thanks to Simbarashe and Winnie for their service and attention at Cagney's. I know this is an older ship- but the ship holds a special place in our hearts and perhaps we did not. Price the imperfections noted by other reviewers. There was a sewage odor in the aft stairs floors 10-12 on many days- but hopefully that is fixed when the ship is dry docked in January for refurbishment. If you wanted to be in the thick of the party, the pool area and buffet were the place to be. Other than some fries, we did not eat at the buffet- but the offerings looked good. Cleanliness was a big push by the staff, everything always seemed to be clean and there were hand sanitizing stations all over the ship. If you want to find quieter spaces, they are also abundant. The Outrigger is a gorgeous observation lounge at the front of the ship. The drinks here were especially good. It was surprisingly empty most of the time. Plantation lounge is at the aft and is a really nice Lou he with a great bar (and sushi by reservation at night- though we did not have any). Captain Cooks bar often had presentations/activities but was generally quiet during the day with an excellent bar. We love the main atrium, but it was often loud and busy- good for people watching! The Great Outdoors in the aft was also a really nice place to sit at night (or during the day). The bar here was less crowded than the pool bar. We really enjoyed the food at Cagney's. We had a three meal dining package, opting to do 2 dinners at Cagney's and 1 in Le Bistro. All the food was excellent. We ate in the Palace MDR for dinner while in Cuba and the Cuba inspired options were especially good. Havana was excellent. We arranged for a private tour in a classic car for about 1/4 the price of a ship based tour. We enjoyed our tour guide, who spent a lot of time sharing with us his experience living in Cuba. Fusterlandia was a highlight for us. We went to Tropicana in the evening. It was not our thing- but it seemed most people really enjoyed it. Our sea day was nice. I got in a little workout on the treadmill on the gym. I had arranged a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet- it was nice to meet others from CC and about 8-10 officers also attended. Although we stayed away from the pool craziness, we did enjoy people watching. Great Stirrup Cay was also a great stop. There was lightning and thunder or too far in the distance, but luckily it stayed away. We enjoyed a Waverunnwr excursion- which was all about going FAST! I loved lounging on a rented float. I wish I had brought goggles, as I would have just laid on the float all day looking in the water. Those who had snorkels and masks said hey saw stingrays and a lot of tropical fish. The water was clear and a perfect temperature. We did not attend any shows or games, nor did we use the casino. We opted instead for quiet moments in lovely parts of the ship or on our balcony. A big thanks to our concierge Kadek, our room steward Bryan, and our butler Mylee. We had lovely room decorations, an abundance of towel animals, and many special treats. We really could not have asked for a better way to celebrate 20 years of marriage.

Amazing anniversary celebration

sleepbestonships’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sky price drops

Aft-Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony
Cabin SE 8277
This is a true two-room suite with an amazing balcony. We love the hum of the engine and the sound of the wake at the aft of the ship. Especially when idling at port, there are some extra vibrations- which we found pleasant, but there is more rattling in the bathroom that might bother others. The room is above the theater- we could hear some music, but never later than midnight and it did not bother us a bit. The balcony was so big! There were 2 chaise loungers, two chairs, and a small table. I could have slept out there- except the bed on the bedroom was so comfortable it beckoned me. The room will be refurbished and fresh in January 2019, so you will miss out on the crazy pink and green curtains after that.
Norway Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins