3. AmaSerena
We traveled on AmaWaterways upon the suggestion of the other couple we would be traveling with. They had heard good reviews about Ama. Neither of us had taken a river cruise previously. We all agreed that the river cruise was much better than any of the ocean cruises we had taken. We plan to take another river cruise. We were greeted warmly and our bags were retrieved from the taxi for us. Embarkation was very smooth. Our cabin was nicely appointed (we stayed in an AA cabin on the uppermost cabin deck) and our cabin steward kept us well stocked with bottled water. The bed was super comfy. The bathroom is decently large for a cruise ship and has a full size shower. Due to the size of the ship, 83 cabins, you will get to know most of the staff and passengers. There is only one dining room (open seating) but lighter fare is served in the lounge most of the day. The food was excellent, usually four course meals, along with a good selection of wines. Breakfast was either the well stocked buffet or menu items. All meals had some local tie-in. The boat is very stable, even when small speed boats passed while we were docked. The sun deck was a pleasant place to hang out and watch the passing scenery (we were on the Danube river). The staff were very pleasant and always able to assist. Only one crew member was rude, the Captain. But everyone else was superb so he was easily ignored. The vessel is not handicapped accessible (this is mentioned on the website). Also, this is not a cruise for children as there are no activities specific for them. Most of the passengers ages ranged between 40 and 70. The live musician was a joy, taking requests and keeping us dancing. I missed the string quartet but heard from other passengers that they were excellent. There are no broadway reviews nor is there a casino but those are not the entertainment draw for me so were not missed. The daily excursions are included in the fare with only a few exceptions. They offer city walking tours, hiking tours, and bicycle tours. I took all three types. Walking tours are separated into gentle walkers and active walkers and are led by local guides. My only complaint is that the gentle walkers should not take the active tours or hiking tours, but this is a passenger issue, not a cruise issue. The bicycles are also available if you want to go for a ride on your own (take the paved trail along the north bank of the Danube in Vilshofen, go west for the planetary displays). When needed, motor coaches were provided to get to towns further than walking distance. The coaches were first class. Disembarkation was easy. We took the post-cruise extension (Prague) so the transportation was provided (motor coach). Our Prague hotel was excellent and situated a block from old town. A note about our particular sailing: the Danube river had very low water levels due to the lack of rain in the area. Our captain decided to sail directly to Vienna (water levels were expected to be a little better west of Vienna) after we all boarded. Most of the other river cruise boats stayed in Budapest. We had a few short stops along the way to drop off and pick up passengers who were driven (motor coach) back to Budapest and Bratislava for tours. The itinerary change gave us an extra day in Vienna which was fine by my group. Much better to have sailed than to stay docked all week in Budapest. The remainder of the cruise was as initially scheduled. The cruise director did an excellent job with the changed schedule. Overall an excellent experience. I would definitely recommend AmaWaterways and plan to take another cruise with them. note: I did not use the fitness room so cannot rate it. I walked, hiked, and biked to work off the wine. :-)

Wonderful cruise - worth the fare

AmaSerena Cruise Review by MissMelba

• Sail Date: August 2018
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Stateroom with French balcony and outside balcony

MissMelba’s Full Rating Summary
Get AmaWaterways AmaSerena price drops

Stateroom with French balcony and outside balcony
Cabin AA
Very nice cabin. Plenty of space. The sitting area was nice to have. The balcony is a must for me. The cabin is oriented long side facing out (twin balconies) which is great, more light when you open both sets of drapes. The bathroom is a good size and has a full size shower.
Violin Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins