Crown Princess Cruise Review

Wonderful, memorable cruise!

Crown Princess Cruise Review by spr5988

• Sail Date: Sep 2018
  • Destination: the Eastern Mediterranean

I had my concerns when I booked this cruise because of some of the reviews I read. However, the itinerary seemed great and I thought I'd give Princess a try. In the past, I have sailed Royal Carribean and Carnival. I was very impressed with my trip and would say I preferred my overall experience on princess over RC and Carnival.

Things I liked:

- the interior rooms, while still small, didn't feel as small because the room had a full closet and cabinet space. Also had a mini fridge and amazing beds and pillows.

- great steward and overall staff on the ship. I didn't drink much but the lines at the bar always seemed minimal.

- no need to check in and out your towel which I loved because it saves you time where other cruise lines I'd have to wait in line.

- efficient boarding off the boat at stops. We even got to one port 30 minutes early. This is critical because you only get so much time at the stops and you don't want to spend a while trying to get off.

- wonderful variety of food. Now it's still cruise food so I can't say it was spectacular but I always found something I enjoyed to eat and felt the variety was much better then RC.

-the hours of the food buffet and other dining options was done well. It drives me crazy when cruises offer food and then at certain times they shut down or only have one thing open so you're waiting a while. This wasn't a problem and in general I never felt like finding a table to eat at was a problem

-super smooth sailing this trip. I hardly knew I was on a boat.

-not overwhelming upselling. Yes, they had posters up or commercials and flyers but it wasn't in my face. I could just flip the channel or throw out the flyer and move on with my day unlike some cruise lines that have people hounding you at the buffet to buy a speciality restaurant meal.

- the tv actually really stood out to me in a good way. I like to watch tv to fall asleep and on other cruise lines the same thing plays so much over and over. Princess seems to play the same set each day so the next day you're on to the next episode and not the same one. Certainly wasn't a ton of channels but far better then other cruise lines I've sailed.

The things that could be improved:

- the shore excursions I felt were overpriced for what you get. I think a lot of people feel this way on cruises but compared to RC I'd say much more for the same type of thing in my opinion.

-like most cruises, limited deck chairs on sea days - no worse then other cruise lines though

-wish there was a bit more entertainment on the cruise. It wasn't terrible but I'd say average and very music oriented.

Overall I loved my cruise with princess!

spr5988's Full Rating Summary

Kotor

Loved, loved, loved this day! We booked a canyoning tour through Kotor bay tours. This is not an easy day but for someone fit and daring a blast. We did an aggressive hike to the canyons. Then repelled ten or so times through the canyons to get down. Half day tour and loved it. Beautiful views sailing in and out of port.

Salerno

Loved this port. We took the local ferry on our own to Amalfi and then Positano and then back to Salerno. About a 20-30 minute walk to the ferry from the cruise but flat and easy to find. Ferry is crazy rocky if you are motion sensitive.

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Embarked from here. Only tip I can recommend is the train from Rome to port is much cheaper (5 euro or so pp) then the transfer through princess but not for someone not in shape or rushed for time. If you do it, it took us 20 minutes from the street to get to the train area, then you have to buy your ticket (keep in mind credit cards require a pin here for some reason), stamp your ticket, find your train, which for us was almost the last one. You do all of this with luggage. Probably took 45 minutes to an hour to do this plus the time on the train. For my husband and I, in our 30s, totally worth it to save the money but might not be for everyone. Then once you get off there is a shuttle for two Euros pp or so to bring you to the cruise.

Corfu

Couldn't remember the exact name of our tour through princess but we did the Corfu hiking tour. It was ok. They took too long on the first part which had no views and then rushed us through the hiking part with views. The beach at the end was somewhat rocky so I wasn't impressed. Wish it had been a nicer beach like you expect from Greece.

I can't say this was a bad time because it wasn't, it was good but definitely not worth the heft price. The meal only provided one bottle of water for the four people at our table to share. We each filled our glass once and it was empty. The appetizers were shared with the table also. The tour was nothing spectacular that my husband and I couldn't have done on our own for way less.

View All undefined undefined Reviews