3. Pride of America
I wanted to do different islands, and my fear of flying on small planes led me to the cruise. We flew in Wednesday night before the hurricane and I did not know what was going to happen. I finally got a notification from NCL on Thursday late that the ship is staying out at sea, and will come back on Sunday and will stay overnight in Honolulu til Monday and leave Monday evening. They cut the day/night at Maui (there went excursion for the sunrise at Halalaka crater) and cut out Kona. The ship wasn’t bad but remember this was not a CRUISE cruise, just a vehicle to get us from place to place. Check in was a breeze , but they also had 400+ cancellations. It took awhile to get the cabin so we went up to the Aloha café to eat. It was good, and easy to find a place to sit. The cabin was nice, balcony, and yes small. It took me 3 days to find the opening for the medicine cabinet. But it had a smell (like sewage), figured it would go away. We were able to get an excursion from the Concierge at our hotel (Waikiki Marriott) to Pearl Harbor and the Missouri - if you can do this, do it. SO worth it. We finally left on Monday night, We had dinner in the Italian Restuarant. The meal was delicious, hot and a lot of food. We split everything so we got to taste a lot of different things. The reservation was at 7:30 and that is too late for me, so I changed all the other restaurants to 6:30 or 7. So much better for me. We also ate at Churiscurra, Cagney's and the Liberty. All were good but the food in the Liberty was not hot. That was my only complaint. Next stop was Hilo - we had an excursion to two waterfalls through Kapohokine? Tiours. They were good. We went to Rainbow Falls and Akaka Falls. It was beautiful and especially after the hurricane rains, the falls were gushing. As we got back to the ship, it started pouring so we took the shuttle at the pier to Walmart. Next day at Maui we were on this hike “short waterfall hike” that I bought through AAA (which used Hike Maui). They were fantastic. They provided backpacks, water and snacks. It’s supposed to be an easy walk but with the excess rain that they had from the hurricane the stream we had to cross was like a fire hose beating at our feet crossing the rocks. And there was some climbing - The guide, Kevin had to help me - normally I’d be able to walk it but there was a narrow path over water and I was rocking from the ship and I was afraid I’d fall over. Oh, the description said, wear shoes that can get muddy. I bought a pair of cheap sneakers in Walmart and it was a good thing Because it was shoe sucking mud!!!1. Next day Thursday 8/30 was Kuai'i - what did we do? There was some grotto river ride which was nice and the next day Friday we did the Journey to Waimia Canyon (again, we bought this through AAA and they use Robert’s which is what the ship used). The ride to the top could be a little nauseating as it’s switchbacks and windy. BUT it was fine. And it was breathtaking. OH, we stopped at the blow hole - I can’t remember the name. And on the way back we stopped at a local coffee plantation. I don’t know if that was part of the excursion but it was nice. Disembarkation was also a breeze. Again there were 400+ less so maybe that had something to do with it. And the shuttle to the airport was good.

Despite Hurricane Lane

Pride of America Cruise Review by hbru

• Sail Date: August 2018
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

hbru’s Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BC 7658 & 9580
Yes, the cabin was small, but I've been on cruises before and knew it would be. If you don't take a lot of stuff (or shoes!) it's not a problem. There was a smell when we got there, but it seemed to go away. It got worse by Tuesday -- it was sewage-y. We went downstairs to complain and see if they could fix it our something. We were very nice, not nasty or attitude-y, but clear that something needed to be done. The woman seemed I don't know, not surprised about this and I have a feeling there were others complaining (in fact there was a lady in our hallway asking us if it smelled and the head of housekeeping was trying to find her another cabin).
So the guest services lady was helping - she gave us 3 cabins to ‘test’ by smelling. One was forward and not good for me - I get sick that far forward and the other two you opened the door and it’s like someone pooped right there. So I said, “you know what, we’ll sleep on this see how it goes, if it’s worse we’ll come back”. We went to the show (the shows were okay, not great, not bad - remember this is not known for the entertainment) and there was a message on the cabin phone -she had another cabin for us to test and we did and we moved. Also probably because there were 400+ cancellations.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins