Viking Sky Cruise Review by PismoPat
- Sail Date: August 2018
- Destination: Baltic Sea
Here are some of the things that stood out:
• The crew was fabulous. Nothing was too much trouble. Most had university degrees in some hospitality related area. From the Captain on down, they would greet guests in the passageways. I saw a Commander (3 stripes) stop and pick up a tiny piece of paper and put it in the trash.
• Attention to detail was amazing.
• The food was amazing. Even the buffet, aka World Café, was great. Nothing on the buffet was ever “tired.” Much was made to order, such as pasta dishes, cut to order prime rib, One night we had lobster tail, filet mignon, and prime rib. It was not a free for all like the buffets on other lines. The Restaurant, the main restaurant, was really nice and had great service.
• Passengers seemed friendlier. I think that rubbed off of the crew being so friendly. Most other passengers had been on river cruises. (We go next year.)
• The organization of everything, from embarkation to excursions, to disembarkation and busses to the airport (airport transfer after disembarkation was included,) was impressive.
• Great coffee at the bar in the Living Room on Deck 1. It opened at 6:30am, but if you got there early, Kamdesh, the barista was more than happy to make your favorite drink, which he knew. I’d sit and read the news on my Surface computer and watch him greet passengers by name and make “the usual” for all of them. His memory was uncanny.
• The included excursions were very good. I had no idea how beautiful Norway is or how great a city St. Petersburg could be. St. Petersburg should have been a bucket list item. Who knew?
Internet was included, but a little slow. 2 Mbs down and a respectable 8 up.
We gave entertainment 3 stars, except when the cruise director, Heather, sang, it was amazing. Sara Brightman has nothing on Heather's voice. Amazing.
We’re looking forward to next July for the Grand European river cruise.
250,000+ people have entered their email
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
City TourGood tour with a nice overview of Norway and its history.View All 107 City Tour Reviews
City TourTook the city overview tour and also a canal tour. Both were excellent.View All 169 City Tour Reviews
EidfjordWe went to the included Norway exhibit and it was very informative.View All 162 Eidfjord Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Eidfjord Cruise Port Review
Gdansk Old TownGood combination of bus and walking tour.View All 52 Gdansk Old Town Reviews
BerlinVery well organized with a 2.5 hour train ride through the German countryside to and from Berlin. The tour of Berlin was very complete and we had a great tour guide who was a historian and really knew the city. Train was comfortable and dedicated to only Viking.View All 73 Berlin Reviews
City TourCity tour was a great overview and very interesting. It's a must if you have not been to St. Petersburg before.View All 339 City Tour Reviews
Hermitage MuseumThis is one of the wonders of the world. Viking pays extra to allow you to go early before it's too crowded, so rooms are pretty empty. The guide really knew what they were doing. By the time we left, around 1 pm, the place was a mob scene. You definitely need to go early. Our time was 9:25.View All 333 Hermitage Museum Reviews