3. Viking Tor
The water level in the Danube is low, so we expected we might have have to switch ships midway along. We called Viking a few days before our trip, and Viking claimed there was as yet no determination. Well when we arrived on the boat, they had determined we would change boats, just as they had the previous 2, and just as they have already determined they will on the next 2 trips. I think they were less than candid with me. Given that we have no choice, I was prepared to tolerate the inconvenience of a ship change, but I was not at all prepared for the other inconveniences Viking visited upon us. To accomplish the ship change, we lost a whole day of our itinerary and spent 7 hours either riding on a bus, and waiting 2 hours at a restop beside the autobahn. The day before, we spent amost 3 hours bussing back and forth to Passau instead of docking there as scheduled. We bussed into Neurumburg, so 2 more hours on the bus. Because of the ship change, we missed our day in Krems, our scenic cruise through the Wachau Valley was mostly after dark, and we missed our overnight in Vienna. As compensation Viking has given all of us $20 shipboard credit for the lunch we paid for at the rest stop. We paid over $12,000 for for this cruise from hell, and according to the latest word from our cruise director, there is nothing more coming. They won’t tell you if you have an upcoming Danube cruise and you call Viking, but crew members in the know say the next 2 Danube itineraries will involve a ship change, and probably more beyond that. If you have insurance that will let you cancel without charge, I suggest you give it serious consideration. We had that insurance, but I thought how bad can a ship change be, so we came on. Well, let me tell you it can be terrible, because it is not just the ship change, but all the other itinerary modifications you will suffer. I would not endure this itinerary again next week if they invited me to come along for free. And to add insult to injury, they have given us $20 to compensate us for our trouble. This is one unhappy group of cruisers. As Viking likes to say in their ads, “exploring the world in comfort” — they just don’ t mention you might be enjoying hours and hours of their signature comfort in a motorcoach (translate bus).

Viking Blue Danube cruise turned into expensive bus ride

Viking Tor Cruise Review by cMak

Viking Cruises, Community Team has responded
We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent Viking experience with the cruising community, cMak. We recognize that you are one of the many affected by the itinerary changes implemented in response to the historically low waters that plagued Europe this year. Though Viking makes every effort to preserve the original program, we understand that the resulting deviations may fall below some guests’ expectations. All journey adjustments are made with our passengers’ best interests in mind, and accordingly we are committed to collecting and understanding all resulting feedback so that we may grow and enhance our product for more enjoyable future experiences. Your constructive comments have been recorded for review by our Executive Team, however should you like to share more we would be happy to continue the discussion at TellUs@vikingcruises.com. Thank you, and have a wonderful day.
cMak’s Full Rating Summary