3. Celebrity Millennium
I went with Celebrity to Alaska before with my mom, about a decade ago. It was great. I decided to go back with my mother-in-law, and it's not great. Some elements of the cruise are just wonderful. But there is SO MUCH wrong that I really can't give it a better review. The wonderful: Some of the staff. The problem is that it's only SOME of the staff. On multiple occasions, I had a problem, would take it to a staff member, would be told that it would be handled, and then it wouldn't be. In general, the people who are working for tips and little else (waiter, room service, like that) are good to very good. Everyone else is doing an absolute minimum. Their goal is to get you to go away believing (generally incorrectly) that your problem is solved. Alaska, of course, is beyond gorgeous. The bad: Most of the staff. The food is mediocre at best. In the dining room, it's pretty good. But in the cafe, which is where you will be eating most of your meals, not so much. I have a daughter going to Carleton and she says the food is totally on a par with the dorm food there. My son went to Wesleyan and said the cafeteria food at Wesleyan was better than the food on the ship. There is a jogging track, which is good. Unfortunately, they allow guests to smoke on it, which is not so good. They do have a smoking policy that precludes smoking cigars or pipes on the jogging track, but they do not enforce it even if you ask. The online checkin procedure was beyond awful. I eventually simply gave up and asked my travel agent to do it. (My travel agent is good, so he did. Thanks, David!) The extent to which Celebrity nickel and dimes you at every opportunity is amazing. There's a bottle of water in your room, but they'll charge you $5 to drink it. (They don't advertise the charge.) There is a laundry bag in your room. You can participate in the "laundry bag challenge" and put as much laundry in it as you can, and they'll wash it all for you. For $50!! Probably cheaper to just buy new clothes. We booked all of our expeditions directly with the expedition operators, saving hundreds. The cabin is in horrible need of a refit. There were a total of three outlets available, which makes simply no sense in today's connected society. Some of the overhead fixtures were cracked. They've clearly been trying hard to keep things in good shape, but it's simply been too long. The cabins all need to be redone. The "Celebrity XCelerate" internet is a joke. Pings in excess of 500ms. Bandwidth down varies between 1Mbs and 8MBs. Up is about 250Kbs. If this is the super fast version, I dread to think about what the slow version was like. And it's REALLY expensive. Do yourself a favor and don't order it for multiple devices; it's easy to share between multiple devices. We had a decent cell signal about half the time. The shows were good to very good for a cruise ship. Much better than community theater, much worse than you'd find in (say) Vegas or Portland. And obviously not even in the same class as you'd get in NYC, LA or London.

Mediocre food, incredibly uneven service quality

Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by mattginsberg

• Sail Date: August 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2A

Alaska, of course, is beyond gorgeous.

The bad: Most of the staff.

mattginsberg’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Millennium price drops

Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2A
Cabin 2A 9138
Needs a refit. See more detailed comments above.
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Helicopter Tour
    Much cheaper booking independently, same operator. Got lucky and (a) ship docked right next to helicopter site and (b) we went to a glacier all by ourselves. Jesse (our pilot and guide) was beyond awesome. Experience of a lifetime!
    View All 54 Helicopter Tour Reviews