3. Emerald Princess
The cruise was part of my husband's bucket list. He loves Alaska and thought it would be a great way to introduce me to the state's beautiful scenery, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The experiences on the ship were a bit different. I'm sure the staff are overworked, and probably have very little time off, but when you save for something this special, you expect to be treated a little better than I feel we were treated. I don't remember many smiles and I don't think we were welcomed by one person once we were on the ship, other than by our nice room steward. The buffet was just "ok." The first one was really bad and we were a bit worried about how the rest would be. It got a little better, but we were treated quite rudely as we would come in to the buffet. I accidentally went out the wrong way, and was reprimanded. Actually, "reprimanded" is a good word for a good amount of the cruise. I know they are worried about germs on the ship, so expect germ police to not let you go into food area without putting anti bacteria gel on your hands. Don't even think of walking in with glass or coffee in hand, even though there were few available tables to put down your drinks. At the buffet, we were constantly looking for tables. One afternoon we came upon another section of the buffet and when we went in that line, we were told we must leave because it was a religious buffet and only certain people could eat there. Yet, there was no sign to signify it was a "private group" section. So, another reprimand.... The anytime dining, where we had most dinners, was generally good. We enjoyed the meals and meal variety. Service was ok, but certainly nothing to make us feel like we were on a special experience. I think once the pre-tipping was arranged on the ships, the need to provide service anything over ok went away. We did enjoy a balcony breakfast on our anniversary. The selection of food was very good. We loved the whole balcony experience and beautiful views along the way. Mountains, glacier, whales, watching sea planes coming and going in the ports, all were wonderful. The variety of tv shows on the room was even good-but expect to see many commercials pushing things to buy on the ship. Our room was very comfortable and we enjoyed our room steward, who worked hard through the large number of rooms he had to make us all happy. The entertainment we saw was enjoyable. I loved the speaker who shared his experience as a camera man on the "Deadliest Catch" show. I enjoyed the naturalist's talks very much and gained some good history and widlife lessons. All "North to Alaska" presentations were enjoyable and informative. We were disappointed that one evening we went to hear a duo sing Fleetwood Mac songs, but the equipment failed so they had to cancel after singing one song. Onboard the ship, they do really push to sell the jewelry and other services at very high prices. We went on two excursions. The White Pass Train Ride and the Gondola ride. They were both fun. The port stops were great, but boy are there way too many jewelry stores, and the gift shops all have the same things over and over. I had no idea Alaska was so commercialized and touristy. Getting on and off the ship was a piece of cake. There were just lots of little things that could have made the experience one to remember as excellent. Instead, we went away feeling just a little letdown, but still had a very good time.

Partly great, partly average

Emerald Princess Cruise Review by sbmiller1960

• Sail Date: August 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Getting on and off the ship was a piece of cake.

sbmiller1960’s Full Rating Summary
Get Emerald Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BA
Our cabin was very comfortable. We totally enjoyed the balcony and I can't imagine not ever having one again! Our room steward tried very hard to make the room nice for us.
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins