• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Bumper7
2-5 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Jul 2018
Cabin:

Our cruise this year on the Viking Sun was our 2nd cruise on the ocean, the 1st being with Holland America to Alaska, and I can say that the Viking Sun was smaller and more intimate than the SS Zaandam. While the food was excellent on both cruises, the Zaandam had a more international selection of cuisine, while the Viking Sun was more continental. This is not a criticism, just a comment. As I said, the food on both ships was excellent.

Since the Viking Ship Museum tour was filled before we got to sign up for it, we took the water taxi over to Bygdøy and walked up the hill to the museum. We had dinner in The Restaurant that night and met some people who had taken the tour and were unhappy with the length of time that they spent at the museum. But we were very pleased with our trip across the harbor and of course, getting to spend as much time as we wanted at the museum, which is certainly the high light of our trip. I feel it would help others if you informed them of this option when they tried to sign up for the tour and found it full.

Our two other cruises with Viking were river boat cruises up the Rhine and the Elbe. But we recently booked a Med cruise with Viking and are looking forward to it.

Cabin unknown

I'm not sure that our cabin number was 354 but it was on the 3rd Level of the Viking Sun on the port side just forward of the Atrium. Incidentally, we weren't assigned a room number until we went through the checkin procedure in the passenger terminal in Amsterdam. We had signed up early for bargain rate. We were very happy with our room.

Port Reviews

Amsterdam

We arrived too early for checkin so we took a walk into Amsterdam and got on a city tour boat for a quick tour of Amsterdam

Skagen

We took the walking tour in Skagen and enjoyed that very much. Unfortunately, we didn't have any Danish money, and were unable to buy refreshment from a beer stand in the harbor. It was quite warm and would have liked to have been warned that Euros were not acceptable to some Danish merchants.

Oslo

Got caught by some heavy traffic in one of the many tunnels around Oslo. But the tour was excellent.

Oslo

Very impressive and informative with time for a snack.

Oslo

It was quite hot and I suffered a bit from jet lag, so I didn't get out of the air conditioned bus. But my wife did take the walking tour of this beautiful park, and took photos on her cell.

10 Helpful Vote