3. Viking Orion
My wife and I were eager to try Viking as we've heard multiple stellar reviews (from friends and family both). As someone who has in the past been on a lot of cruises with multiple different cruise lines I can sum up our experience on this cruise by simply stating it exceeded our wildest expectations in every category and has ensured two new Viking customers for life. The ship itself is stunning, beautiful and spotless with hidden treats throughout (the planetarium and the snow grotto were two of my favorites). The food was consistently excellent and to my surprise we found ourselves frequently eating at the World Cafe simply to allow us to sample more choices (and as the location was so comfortable)! The lack of crowds anywhere on board was a special delight (especially compared to prior cruises), and on multiple occasions we felt as if we had private reservations to wherever/whatever we were doing at the time. I cannot praise the crew/staff highly enough! There was such authentic friendliness and attention to detail from everyone we interacted with. We were able to talk with the cruise director 1 on 1 multiple times and were never made to feel like anything we asked for or needed was an imposition (even if we just stopped them to chat we were never made to feel as if they had somewhere else to be). The head chef came out to check our happiness with the food (spoiler alert: we were!) multiple times as well, even stopping to chat with us at the tea service in the Wintergarden (which we went to every day!). The caliber of service so thoroughly exceeded anything we expected that again I cannot stress enough how impressed I was. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the entertainment. I've experienced cruise entertainment a lot in the past and pretty consistently find it to be sub-par. Based off the smaller passenger size of the ship I was expecting more of the same here and was yet again pleasantly surprised to discover otherwise! The shows were quite entertaining with some impressively talented singers and a special mention to the musicians as well (the classical duet was especially delightful!). The number of included services (free wi-fi, shore excursions, alcohol with meals, etc.) was also appreciated (nice not to feel nicked and dimed) and worth a mention. The Spa was a treat after a long (and hot!) Shore Excursion and here especially the lack of crowds really showed! Overall, we enjoyed every moment of our (all too short) experience on board the Orion and are counting the days to our next cruise with Viking! Cannot recommend Viking enough!

Beyond Expectations

Viking Orion Cruise Review by CaliScot

CaliScot’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Orion price drops

The cabin was luxurious and economical at the same time. The nods to convenience (such as the electrical outlets/USB ports at each night table and the built in storage/mirror in the desk) were definitely put to use. The free and daily restocked snacks and drinks in the mini-fridge were a treat. The bed was surprisingly comfortable and the bathroom far exceeded any I've experienced on prior cruises. I've read other reviews that complained about the lack of storage space but my wife and I did not find that to be a problem. With all that said, we spent far less time in our cabin (and on the veranda as well) then expected as there was simply so much to do on board the ship!