Island Princess Cruise Review

Island Princess Cruise Review by slgerard

• Sail Date: Aug 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

My family and I traveled to Alaska on the Island Princess, first cruise for my parents and for all of us our first trip to Alaska. I was particularly concerned about my stepmother because she has a long list of food intolerances. Besides the usual gluten and dairy that she can't have, she also can't eat onions, garlic, certain sweeteners and a few fruits and vegetables.

Princess did a phenomenal job helping my stepmother. The head waiter came to our table every evening to give her the menu for the following night. She chose what she wanted, then they prepared it specially for her. But that's not all! Without her even asking them, they prepared a special dessert for her every night! And every night it was a different dessert. One night a meringue topped with fruits, another night a chocolate mousse (how they did it without dairy I have no idea). They even brought her a dish of clarified butter every evening (since that is one thing she can have) that she was able to use for her GF bread and seafood. They were so conscientious and helpful, it made the cruise so enjoyable for her and all of us. And it was completely unexpected since she doesn't expect special treatment like that.

Our cruise itinerary included a stop at Icy Strait Point. Many of the cruise ships don't stop there, but I highly recommend it if you can go on a cruise that includes it. We went on the bear search excursion and saw 4 bears (my first time seeing them in the wild). Such a beautiful place, and I hope to go back and try their zipline (supposedly the longest in the world).

My dad and stepmom are the kind of couple who enjoy attending a Buddhist retreat where you meditate in silence for a week as their vacation. I didn't know it they would feel about a cruise that can have crowds and lots of activities and noise, but they loved it. They attended all the production shows, loved exploring the ship and took advantage of many of the amenities. My stepmother remarked that she never thought she would like a cruise, but now they are anxious to book the next one!

I can't express how much I love the Princess Cruise line and how they go out of their way to make sure you are taken care of and enjoy your vacation. Thank you Princess!

slgerard's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BC c514

Our first time in a balcony stateroom, worth every penny. My parents also had a balcony stateroom. We all took advantage of it when sailing through the glaciers, such a marvelous experience! Both my stepmother and I agreed that it was the most comfortable bed we've ever slept on.

Icy Strait

Saw many whales, a sea otter, and porpoises.

Wildlife Tour

We saw 4 bears and a bald eagle. Also heard a man speak in native Eskimo language, which was a wonderful highlight.

View All 72 Wildlife Tour Reviews
Dog Sledding

The dog sledding was a fantastic experience. The dogs were feisty and hilarious, the puppies sweet as can be.

View All 162 Dog Sledding Reviews
Juneau

We took a short hike at the top and the views were absolutely spectacular

Hiking

We took the hike with the float down the river. Absolutely beautiful! The hike was on the difficult side, but not too long and very much worth it. Just might want to be prepared, it's an excursion for those who are relatively fit.

Whittier

Wonderful chance to see a glacier up close, very nice experience.

slgerard