3. Norwegian Breakaway
A St. Petersburg overnight stay was the main reason, we chose this itinerary. We were on the NCL Panama Canal Sun cruise from hell. NCL issued all passengers a full fare credit, which is what we used on this cruise.This was basically a way for us to determine if we will continue to sail NC in the future. The Breakaway is a huge ship. They said there were almost 4700 passengers. I thought it was well designed until I lived on it during at sea days and shorter excursions. I just responded to a review for NCL. I don't like the big ships, I've decided. As we were on the Baltic Sea, the weather was cold and windy. The hot tub was put to use, but we didn't see many taking advantage of all of that outside space The majority of the game shows and demonstrations took place on Deck 6 in the Atrium. Unless you found a bar stool at O'Shehann's on Deck 7 overlooking the Atrium or a chair on Deck 6 at the Atrium, you weren't comfortable or able to see what was happening. The food in the complimentary dining rooms for the most part was bland and not of very good quality. We talked about the fact that it looks as if NCL is trying to not so gently nudge passengers to use the specialty restaurants. In fact, in the survey I gave the food a poor rating. I used past experiences from cruises of yesteryear as my comparison. I guess they think if they give you the drink package, which isn't free as you're charged an 18% gratuity, we shouldn't expect more. The itinerary for the beginning of the cruise was fantastic. I'm so thankful that I booked private tours for Warnemunde and SPB. I was very disappointed in the tours that NCL provided. The crew as usual did the best they could do. They are totally overworked. In the large dining rooms and at the Noodle Bar they don't have enough help. The wait for your food to arrive is long. I keep going back to the fact that there are too many people and not enough inside public spaces on this ship.Pluses- Cirque Dreams was incredible. Burn the Floor was enjoyable. Rock of Ages not so much. There was a group of 4 men singing and I can't remember their names. They all had performed in Les Miserables. They were awesome!!!! The crew is wonderful and continues to smile despite how overworked they appear to be. I would NEVER take a trans Atlantic cruise on one of these ships. The Breakaway is definitely a warm weather ship. I know many will disagree with my assessment. I gave NCL another chance. I was able to travel to a bucket list city, St. Petersburg, I didn't pay the $3600.00 that others did, as I used the fare credit. Will I sail with NCL again? Probably not.

Great itinerary, but wrong ship.

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by CowgirlUp5

• Sail Date: August 2018
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Stateroom with Large Picture Window
CowgirlUp5’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Oceanview Stateroom with Large Picture Window
Cabin OA 11100
This cabin seemed to have a little more room to walk, but that is due to the fact that there was no chair or sofa in the cabin. Since we were forward, at night we were directed to make sure that our curtain was always closed. This was due to the fact that the light could interfere with the pilot's sight. There was plenty of storage, which is a plus. Our steward was great.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• City Tour
    We've visited Copenhagen in the past, but our friends had never been there. This was a post cruise city tour that ended at the airport. Our guide and driver were good. We saw the highlights of the city. The day was overcast and rainy.
    View All 159 City Tour Reviews
  • City Tour
    Just a drive around the city. The guide and driver were helpful and polite. It's hard to review this city as we had just left S'PB. Helsinki is under construction and there wasn't much to see. We knew this before we went, so we weren't disappointed.
    View All 161 City Tour Reviews
  • Rostock (Warnemunde)
    If I could give this tour a 10, I would. We stayed in Warnemude as we didn't want to make the 3 hr. train ride into Berlin. We learned so much about East Germany from Christian. He's a native to the area and made this tour not only fun but extremely informative. We walked, we laughed, we ate at a wonderful pub, enjoyed some local cuisine, traveled to Wismar and Schwerin . It was Sweden day in Wismar, so we had a chance to enjoy a wonderful festival. The day was perfect. I highly recommend it. It's limited to only 25 people, so it books up quickly.
    View All 12,409 Rostock (Warnemunde) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Rostock (Warnemunde) Cruise Port Review
  • St. Petersburg
    Two days of awesome. After about two months of planning, we were able to work out the itinerary that our group wanted for SPB. TJ Travel and Natalia, our guide, were incredible to work with. We saw everything we wanted to see in the two days we had: The Hermitage ( TJT made sure that we had passes to enter early, so we beat the crowds), The General Assembly Building, Peterhof gardens, lunch both days in typical Russian Restaurants with meals ready for us, a ride on the subway, which shouldn't be missed, a walk down Nevsky Prospect, the Faberge Museum. We didn't stop and Natalia was the best teacher and guide. She helped us understand her wonderful city and all of it's beauty. I want to go back and stay for months, as it would take that long to truly see everything.
    View All 12,409 St. Petersburg Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Petersburg Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    We docked in NYNASHAMN . We no sooner got on the bus than the guide started complaining and she never stopped. There were protests throughout the city, so we weren't able to drive down some city streets. There were NO bathroom breaks, as she said there is a WC in the bus. There were 50 people on the bus and we were captive for 4 hours. I filed a formal complaint as soon as we returned. I don't recommend the city tour for this port. Perhaps if we had booked a private tour I would have happier memories of Stockholm. This is one city that isn't on my "want to return" list.
    View All 121 City Tour Reviews
  • City Tour
    A walking tour of the Old Town. Love this little town. Our guide loves his city and country and it showed. He was very knowledgeable. I wish we had more time to explore on our own. This is a town I would love to visit again.
    View All 78 City Tour Reviews