3. Ruby Princess
I wanted to see Alaska but I'm not a big fan of cold weather. I chose Princess because I'd heard they were the best for Alaska cruise. I'd never cruised on Princess before. I was NOT disappointed. From embarkation till debarkation, everything was much more than I expected! We traveled this time with a group of 14 (10 of which I had not met before). We did travel Club Class and this was a first. Club Class Dining and priority boarding and deboarding made it well worth it. We had a Jr. Suite and the bathroom was bigger than I'd ever seen on a cruise ship. The extra seating area and larger balcony were great perks. I'd highly suggest having a balcony - you see some of the most majestic sights right from your own balcony. We saw humpback whales, orcas, bear, otters, seals and eagles right from our balcony. The day spent in Glacier Bay alone made the cruise worth it. We saw the magnificent glaciers, went through floating ice to get in to the Bay and were lucky enough to see pieces of ice break off (called calving). They spent plenty of time right in front of the glacier and then turned the boat around for the other side of the ship to have the same view. We chose a seaplane excursion (don't miss this one - went to Taku Lodge, landed for lunch and a hike and back to the port) , an ATV excursion and a fishing excursion for our 3 Alaskan ports. They were perfect! A few of our friends did the helicopter excursion and actually walked on a glacier - looked spectacular too! The ports - Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan were breathtaking by themselves. We did not have enough time in Ketchikan and I hope to go back one day to explore further. We didn't get off the ship in Victoria simply because it was the last night, we were tired and it seemed like a lot of trouble to deal with our passports to get on and off the ship. The service on board was impeccable. We did one thing we've never done on a cruise ship - we arranged for a Chef's Table dinner. At $95 per person this is the single most incredible thing I've done ON a cruise ship! The Maitre'D and Chef served us unlimited champagne and 3 appetizers IN the kitchen before seating us in the center of the dining room and serving us white and red wine and a fabulous 4 course dinner. At the end we were each given a picture of our group, a picture of our couple with the chef and the signature cookbook. We were all blown away by the entire evening. They had never done a group our size and it was quite an endeavor. I'll do this again - whether it is just my husband and me or a group. Just spectacular! All the entertainment we participated in was fun - comedian, magic, stage show, Voice of the Ocean, bingo and trivia. We fit in as much as we could and could not make it to everything available. We opted not to do spa treatments but many in our group did and loved them. The spa itself was beautiful. The Ruby Princess was a very well appointed ship and quite beautiful. I never felt crowded on board and the service was never slow or compromised at all. Room service was better than I'd ever experienced on other lines too. The beds are exactly as comfortable as they advertise - the Princess bed. So although I wasn't overly enthusiastic about going, I can not WAIT to go back! In one word - SPECTACULAR!

Alaska Cruise on Princess is Fabulous?

Ruby Princess Cruise Review by CHERIKNOY

• Sail Date: August 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony
CHERIKNOY’s Full Rating Summary
Get Ruby Princess price drops

• Float Plane
    Took off and flew over glaciers to land in the Taku River at the Taku Lodge where we enjoyed a wonderful salmon lunch. Then we hiked a bit and when we came back in to camp there was a bear at the grill where they'd cooked the salmon. We watched her and took as many pictures as we wanted. She was a beautiful large black bear! Then we took off again, flew over different glaciers to return to the port. We had enough time to walk through Juneau before boarding the ship.
    View All 80 Float Plane Reviews
  • Fishing
    There were only 3 of us with the guide and we fished for salmon, rockfish and halibut. We caught 2 salmon and 6 rockfish and had more "bites" than I could count. Then they took us to a primitive camp on one of the islands where they had a fire going, hot beverages prepared and they cooked the fish for us and served it with vegetables for lunch. Everything about this was incredible! We must have seen 50 eagles!
  • Seattle
    There is plenty to do in Seattle without booking a cruise. We stayed downtown, saw Pike's Market, the Needle, ate wonderful food on the pier and enjoyed a visit to a glassblowing shop.
    View All 784 Seattle Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Seattle Cruise Port Review
  • 4x4 Tour
    Took a catamaran to Haines, AK where we boarded a small tour bus to take us up the mountain for the ATV adventure. It was raining but still very fun. Enjoyed a picnic lunch after the ride and before returning to the catamaran to take us back to the ship. This tour took 6 hours so we did not have time to walk into Skagway but felt like we'd really enjoyed the best of Alaska's wilderness.