3. Celebrity Silhouette
My mother in law who is a seasoned cruise traveler wanted to treat us all to a family holiday. I was very much looking forward to this as we were doing the Baltic cruise which I had wanted to do for a while. Boarding went smoothly and the room seemed comfortable and adequate for my family. My husband, me and twin 4 year olds. When we got back to our cabin after dinner to find the kids beds made up I was a little disappointed. The top bed was basically the sofa with a sheet on it. Trundle pull out bed was the second bed. The sofa was ok as just that, a sofa you would be spending very little time sitting on when in the cabin but as a bed it was terrible. it sloped down slightly which meant my twin girl fell off on to her brother a couple of times and it was very uncomfortable to sleep on. We ended up having the kids in the bed with us most nights. Thankfully the main bed was very comfortable and king sized. This was not a family room, it was a double room with a sofa and pull out trundle bed. For what we paid this was not acceptable. The main aim of the cruise seemed to be selling. Everything revolved around trying to get your to buy. Waiters outside the main dining room and buffet every meal with a menu and sign up register for the specialty restaurants, one even following my husband in to the bathroom on one occasion. The talks on each destination were basically a plug of their excursions with very little information outside of what they involved. Sail days in the shops were supposed to be open all day but were closed off until certain "sales" were set up and you got a raffle ticket. There was no shop selling essentials if you happened to forget something. Just overpriced items you could get elsewhere for half the price. Sail days were crowded too with very little seating in any of the areas except the pool, which could get very loud with the activities and a dj playing questionable music. Having two small kids and 5 sail days I was hoping for plenty of activities to keep them entertained. The pool could get crowded but my girl still enjoyed it. My son has a medical condition which meant he couldn't use the pool. He was also very clingy being in a strange place so refused to use the kids club too. My girl did use it and was very happy with the kids club. The staff were very friendly and it seemed to keep those who would attend entertained. That was pretty much it though for small kids. The activities were limited and not suitable for small kids. The movies in the small theatre were not shown on sale days or were on at a time not suitable to attend (too close to dining room booking times or too late at night). The entertainment was very bland and repetitive. Some of the acts being shown on more than one of the days so if you attended once, you were at a loss another night when they had the same show on. The main focus was getting people in to the casino. Drinks package was a waste of money. The kids ones allowed for juice and fountain sodas. We could only find one bar serving fountain sodas and that was drinks mixers only, soda and tonic water, not exactly for kids. We used our cards to buy kids some actual sodas in a can and were charged for them because we ordered them too close to ordering our own drinks, all of which were within the package. You couldn't get more than one drink at a time on each card or you were charged for it. Quality of the drinks was hit and miss too on cocktails, especially in the main theatre. Terrible and undrinkable mostly. My mother in law is a wheelchair user and could only use the bathroom facilities in her cabin. The other toilets in public areas did not suit her disability. She could not transfer herself from wheelchair to toilet because of the position of the support bars. When she brought this up with staff, she was met with an indifferent attitude and made to feel like she was being unreasonable. On the other hand, the food, in the main dining hall and the buffet was excellent. The majority of the staff were friendly and helpful (with the exception of bar staff who seemed like we were bothering them asking for them to bring us a drink). Our room was kept immaculate and the destinations were all brilliant. We only did one of the cruise shore excursions, in St. Petersburg, which I found a lot of fun, well organised and value for money (surprisingly as everything on the ship was overpriced) and the guide very informative. The staff made the kids feel very special which I also appreciated very much as it was their first holiday. I don't think I will be using Celebrity again as the cons far outweighed the pros.

Sell, sell, sell!!

Ages 3 to 6
Get Celebrity Silhouette price drops

Ocean View
Cabin 07 3117
Cabin was clean and the main bed was comfortable but I would not class it as a family room at all. Cramped for four and the kids beds were not suitable for use.
Vista Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins